• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Road, Yardley.

Hi John,

Did you happen to know my old friend Tom Sutcliffe who also went to Cockshut Hill? He was about your age but has sadly passed away now.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

John, where was the Bilton Grange? That road went from Barrows lane to Garretts Lane and I do not remember another pub there.

Dave

Mr Vaughan was my barber for years as I lived two roads away. You said your father moved into wroxton road and went to Church road school as we all did from that area then.
You must have lived opposite David Ward then, about two or three houses up on the other side. The shop on the corner in those days was a cycle repair shop run by mr Daddy Linford as we used to call him, he sat in his shop all day with a ciggy in his mouth and his moustache all Yellow and burnt, his waist coat was also covered in polished grease, a smashing bloke though.

Dave

Mr Vaughan's daughter started selling jewellery from one half of the shop and she used to display in the window along with antiques.

Dave

John, this barbers is the other side of the Yew Tree from the Swan, along Church rd past Croft rd up to Wroxton Rd corner. You have been away too long!!

Dave

What a shame. The times Dad and Granddad, uncle Tom took me to that pub. Then down to the Bilton Grange, I do think thats still there? I will be over in August or September to visit my Sis Joan in Hagley, We will be sure to visit my old home 126 Moat Lane. Also went to Cockshut Hill school, thats now a college? Happy days! John Crump now 82 now in Parker. Colorado USA

The pub was/is in fact the St. Bernard's Grange in Barrows Lane

Jim, knowing Jonny Crump from a little kid I said he had been away too long and I was sure he was talking about the St bernard's Grange.
Dave

You got that right Dave. Long time gone. Age dims the mind, at least mine! But happy days those where John Crump

Interesting to read this about my Grandfather William Linforth Cycle Maker, trying to insert a grainy photo of him for you to see, Kat'

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 23
Kat, sorry about the incorrect spelling of his surname. He used to mend all our cycles just for a few pennies and get us on our way again. You don't get that service these days as the man in the corner shop has long gone, you cannot even get the spares.
Thanks for posting the photo, it's been a long time since I last saw him like that, thanks a lot.

Dave

Hi Dave,
It's nice that you remember him (never mind the spelling) My Grandfather came to live with my parents in 1958 at our home in Sheldon. I was quite young but remember him well. He sadly passed away Christmas Eve 1959. The stock from the shop stored in my Dad's large shed. In 2009 Lencops who was a wealth of info' made similar remarks about him.
I never met his wife but a distant relative sent me a photo of a lady outside a house in Church Road but I am not sure if it is her. Would you remember her, Kat

Oldbrit, Don't worry about your memory. A lot of locals called The St Bernard's Grange Pub, The Bilton Grange, back in the 50's. My dad, his family and friends certainly did anyway!

Kat, I never saw his wife as he was always in the shop surrounded by old cycles, to be honest I never knew if he was married as he was a man of few words and as kids we did not hold long conversations with older people , with all due respect.
As you say about Len Copsey, he and I worked together for many years and went to the Blues for many of those, sadly missed. I am not surprised about the amount of cycles in the shop they must have worth a fortune in there antique value alone.

Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for your replies. This is the photo of either Williams wife or possibly his mother outside her home in Church Road. Miriam (Horsley) William's wife died in1940 so I guess there would not be any members who may know of her. Interesting that Len was your friend, I should have guessed! Katimage.jpg

Kat, to be honest I would not know her, it is obviously one of the houses just round the corner into Church Rd.
Nicky and mary Lannon, brother and sister lived about three houses from the corner, never knew what happened to them. I did see Mary at the front door of a terraced house on the right in Goldenhillock rd past Walford Rd going to Warwick Rd many moons ago.

Dave

Kat, Len and I knew each other from the early fifties at the B.S.A machine tools factory in Mackadown ln. and we always went down the Blues together. I was probaly the last friend to see Len when he was in hospital, you would not have thought that was anything wrong with him except he would not eat. Paul his son may correct me on that as he knew more.
Dave

Kat, as in many cases no name of the person on the back of the photo or where taken, we are all guilty of that.

Dave

Dennis , how the heck did you get that roof top picture, were you up there fixing the tiles as you seem to be offset to the ridge line.

Dave

Suemalings, Idon't know when you lived in number 3 Wroxton but I am sure that house was where Mrs Ward used to live many years ago, I know David Ward so I will ask him.

Dave

I have just been speaking to mother-in-law (who used to have the newsagents at 212 Church Road). She still lives in Yardley near the Yew Tree.

I lived at 3 Wroxton for just three years in 1977 - 80. MIL still keeps in touch with David Ward, he lived at 37 Wroxton not number 3. She knew the Horsley family quite well who lived at number 1 Wroxton. (Barbara lived next door to us). She also knew Mr. Hope who was the barber. In fact I don't think there is anyone or anything that Margaret can't tell you about Yardley!!

Sue, who was Mr Hope? I only knew Mr Vaughan and his daughter near Wroxton Rd unless he was the one near the Swan.

Dave

Sue, I lived in Patrick rd from 1935 until 1959 and my father died in 1993 from the same address and as kids we all knew one another from Patrick rd, Vera rd, Croft rd Barrows lane, Church rd, Yew tree lane, Moat lane and Elmcroft rd as we all went to the same school, some did come from the other side of the Covertry Rd but only a few,
very happy times, sadly gone.

Dave

Back