• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road, Yardley.

According to mother-in-law, the "pavement" is actually a public highway so it might be difficult to get permission for tables outside. Apparently some of the shops started putting advertising boards out (you know the free-standing, two sided ones) then had to remove them as they were actually on the highway!

We'll have to wait and see but I know that if the residents of Newcroft Grove have anything to do with it, Wethspoons wont stand a chance!

dwilly ,thanks for showing this.I have enjoyed a trip down memory lane!The swan picture showing Harriss outfitters where mom used to take us,the Hardings cart taken in Rowlands rd or Manor House Lane judging by the house style,and the tivoli and Sheldon cinemas which were a big part of my life.My mother worked at the Journeys End and Good companions and The Bull,and my wedding reception was held at the old Swan pub in 1958. I can also remember H.G turners shops at the Wheatsheaf and Small Heath.As for Grimleys sweetshop ,it was well used by us children from Church rd School ! One of my school friends lived in one of the rebuilt houses which replaced the bombed ones in Lily Rd. Margaret.

Hi
Just checking threads and reposting or posting new photo's. this one
of church Road has some familiar shops.

Image6_Church_Rd_Yardley.jpg

Regards Stars

That's a great photo. I was there last week visiting Mother in Law.

I did post this query on another thread but think this is probably a better place to ask:

Does anyone remember what was on the corner of Church Road and Blakemere Avenue before the Laundry?

Hello,Please does any one know of a shop called " Kirkdale" in yardley by the coventry rd back in the early 1920's .MyG. grandfather James Jenks lived there with his family, I believe he was a picture frame maker

Hi sue, regards shops using the frontage to display items or advertising boards on church road. Woodruffs the pet shop has sold plants out side for years. And ive noticed recently that one or two other shops are also piling things up outside. I bet Weatherspoons are watching the situation with interest. It wouldnt be very nice for the people living above the pub.

I lived at 46 Croft Rd from 1971 to 1978 the house was opposite Wroxton Rd my sons went to Church Rd school then Cockshut Hill. We always bought our wallpaper from Ray's we knew him when he had a shop in Alum Rock.

trebor

Berniew

Gilbertstone House was demolished in 1937 I believe, and was located where Saxondale Avenue, Yardley stands today. Previously Gilberstone was a district itself.

Went to Sunday school in the top of that building next to the church in the late 40s early 50s John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Colorado USA

Re:Shop,Church Road, Yardley.
I have just found this post and am reminded of my youth. I grew up in Patrick Rd from 1935 and everyone has spoken about all the people I knew around that area. There a few names which I know but cannot put a face to them plus the fact most are using pseudonyms. I always thought the people who lived at the house on the corner of Croft Rd and Church were the Lewis's, the lad went to Church Rd school with us. The house was sold off with the understanding that it would be kept in it's original form and that is why the shops were built on the front of it, it was an eerie place to walk past on a dark winters night as a 10 year old.
The people from Wroxton Road went to church Rd school as we all did in that area, John Hately lived towards the church Rd end and David Barrows the other end, Malcolm Bastock of the funeral Directors lived in Croft Rd along with many more.
Dave Edwards

Hello Dave. How are you? Email me sometime. Regards John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA
Re:Shop,Church Road, Yardley.
I have just found this post and am reminded of my youth. I grew up in Patrick Rd from 1935 and everyone has spoken about all the people I knew around that area. There a few names which I know but cannot put a face to them plus the fact most are using pseudonyms. I always thought the people who lived at the house on the corner of Croft Rd and Church were the Lewis's, the lad went to Church Rd school with us. The house was sold off with the understanding that it would be kept in it's original form and that is why the shops were built on the front of it, it was an eerie place to walk past on a dark winters night as a 10 year old.
The people from Wroxton Road went to church Rd school as we all did in that area, John Hately lived towards the church Rd end and David Barrows the other end, Malcolm Bastock of the funeral Directors lived in Croft Rd along with many more.
Dave Edwards

Back