• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road Aston

Astoness, Thanks for photo. Am I correct in saying that Stellas Bar was a room (I believe an upstairs room) in the Avenue pub Park Rd, top of Queens Rd (where I lived at the time) as stated in my previous post. Eric

hi eric...i am sorry i cant answer that one..i just noticed the reference to stellas and at the back of my mind i thought i had a pic of it....

hopefully someone will come on that can confirm it for you...

cheers...

astoness:)

Astoness looking at your pic, the windows do look like the pub windows, and David did tell me when they had overnight visitors he had to sleep on the Billiard table, so Stellas Bar was probably converted bedrooms,also remember now the licencees name over the door was Stella Hill. Eric

eric.it sounds like your info may well be correct...had to laff about sleeping on the billiard table.....:):):)ive fell under a few in my time....:D:D:D

The interior shot of Stella's Bar brought back many memories, we thought we were quite sophisticated in the mid 1950s going there, Stella was original at that time. Her photo reminds me somewhat of Annie Walker the landlady of the Rovers in Coronation Street many years ago. If anyone offered Stella a drink she would say "I'll have a bobs worth" - of gin!!!
The Head Barman was named Albert - they used to have "free and easies" where people got up to sing. Always a good night out - and it was upstairs you entered a side door in Park Road.

The only thing is that I am pretty certain the pub was called the Queen ---- not the Avenue.

Sylvia, Yes I think you are right about the name and I was wrong, I lived in Queens Rd and my Dads "local" was The Queens pub next to Atkinsons brewery, and I often heard him refer to the one at the top by Park Rd as "the top Queens". The Avenue was probably in Church Lane/Road. Trouble is in them days there were so many pubs.
Eric

Eric, I'm racking my brains to remember the name of the pub - my first job was at Atkinsons Brewery, where I met my ex-husband, his family lived 5/87 Queens Road, I think it was the first entry past the brewery. I also remember names you mentioned Mrs. Stagg and Ron Lock.

Sylvia, I was born in one of the house back of 87 too, I think No. 3 but could be wrong. This was June 1930, left in 1935 (our name is Cook). Eric

Eric, my ex-husband was born in 1935 the youngest of 11 - surname Sayers. There were 7 sons and 4 daughters, but one of the girls was a twin who died at 4 months old. You would probably be too young when you left to remember the family. I think Mrs. Stagg lived in one of the front houses.

Sylvia, Yes Mrs Staggs shop (converted house) was at top of entry and a few doors away was a Green Grocers run by Rogers family , when I returned to Queens Rd in 1943 they were both still there. Eric

I don't remember Mrs. Stagg's shop in the period 1953-1959 when I visited my in-laws. I think it must have been converted back to a house, I'm sure I would remember it if had been a shop.

sylvia, I went in the RAF in 1948 (till 1956)so what happened to Mrs Staggs and the Green grocers after June 1948 I wouldn't Know. Eric

my recollection was bona was david jones and he lved in devon st. anyone else remember david bona jones in the 60s

We had our own Dark Half Hour down Vauxhall/Duddeston it was on the River Rea it ran from the bottom of Erskine St under Lawley St goods yard and came out at Montegue St it had a bend in the middle so was completely black as you walked in a few yards. Dek

as well as the dark half hour, there was also the bridge over the cut carrying 33000 volts, which you was dared to crawl over. but make no mistake.david jones (bona) was king from the railway club to the dark half hour. in the years 1963 to1966

hello.we climbed the 33.000.once i fell off the ladder into the smelly water at the bottom.all the years messing about there on the slacs.the tar distillers.and the old power station did we encounter any aggro.the only one to watch out for was the lock keeper we called jimmy the lock

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife who used to live in Church Lane says that she remembers a family of that name lived in Church Lane, she seems to think that there was a dad and mom and two sons, she thinks thier names were Harry and Richard. Any help?

Hi Clive.Thanks for message when i see Sue friday i will give her the info you have told me and i will get back 2 you.Thank's Again.Irene

Back