• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road Aston

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Hi,anyone ever risk walking the dark half hour, that slippy smelly tunnel.
down aston church rd?where the scrap yard is now.... pete

the cut raiders were a gang of lads who used to stand at the top of the culvert and rain bricks and bottles down on us, purely because of our vunerable position, bona jones was barry jones who gave himself the title "king of the cut" he is in his sixties now....actually he phoned me a couple of hours ago offering me a job window cleaning

Hi,

Hoping someone may be able to help. Are Church Road Aston & Aston Church Road one and the same? I have recently obtained at marriage cert giving the address for the bride and groom as Church Road Aston but I can only find Aston Church Road.

Thanks in anticipation!

Macca

Will ask my brother on Thursday when we meet up Macca. I remember Aston hall road but Aston church road I'm not sure of.:confused2::confused2: Al's 10 years older than me and remembers things way back. Bye. Jean.

Will ask my brother on Thursday when we meet up Macca. I remember Aston hall road but Aston church road I'm not sure of.:confused2::confused2: Al's 10 years older than me and remembers things way back. Bye. Jean.
hi macca
church rd Aston b6 runs from queens rd to lichfield rd and then it joined thimble mill lane.
i can see it on the a-z i have which is about 1988.
best of luck regards dereklcg.

Aston Church road runs from Holborn Hill,Nechells through Heartlands area and ends at Washwood Heath Road,Washwood Heath.
The Railway line seperates the 2 areas
Church Road joins Thimble Mill Lane,which joins Holborn Hill, which joins Aston Church Road!!!!!!!!!!

i remember going down thru that,and panicking when the floodgates opened,ha ha

Hi,

Does anyone on here remember Church Road Aston, I think it was next to Pugh Road. I would love to know what the houses were like, did they have gardens etc;? A photo would be even better:)

Thanks

Macca

The pawn shop was Mr Swingler, on a monday morning there would be a long queue waiting for him to open, people could pawn anything from bed-sheets, their wedding-rings or the old mans suit (if he owned one!).
I have vivid memories of waiting in the queue with my mom in the late forties. He was a large man,possibly of Jewish origin, and he wore gold-rimmed spectacles. People were quite hard-up in those days, and it was often quite difficult for them to redeem thier pledges and so, if you did'nt get them out within 6 months, they became the property of the pawn-broker, who then put them up for sale as unredeemed pledges.

I believe "stella's bar" was run by the landlady of the Avenue pub corner of Queen Rd and Park Rd, her surname was Hill, I used to go about with her son David in the 1940s, her husband used to race greyhounds, they also had a daughter who was in poor health. Eric

Astoness. am I correct in thinking Stellas Bar was a room in the Avenue Pub, Park Rd run by Stella(?) Hill the landlady in the 1940s as mentioned in my previous post. Eric

Back