• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Road Aston

I don't remember Mrs. Stagg's shop in the period 1953-1959 when I visited my in-laws. I think it must have been converted back to a house, I'm sure I would remember it if had been a shop.

sylvia, I went in the RAF in 1948 (till 1956)so what happened to Mrs Staggs and the Green grocers after June 1948 I wouldn't Know. Eric

my recollection was bona was david jones and he lved in devon st. anyone else remember david bona jones in the 60s

We had our own Dark Half Hour down Vauxhall/Duddeston it was on the River Rea it ran from the bottom of Erskine St under Lawley St goods yard and came out at Montegue St it had a bend in the middle so was completely black as you walked in a few yards. Dek

as well as the dark half hour, there was also the bridge over the cut carrying 33000 volts, which you was dared to crawl over. but make no mistake.david jones (bona) was king from the railway club to the dark half hour. in the years 1963 to1966

hello.we climbed the 33.000.once i fell off the ladder into the smelly water at the bottom.all the years messing about there on the slacs.the tar distillers.and the old power station did we encounter any aggro.the only one to watch out for was the lock keeper we called jimmy the lock

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife who used to live in Church Lane says that she remembers a family of that name lived in Church Lane, she seems to think that there was a dad and mom and two sons, she thinks thier names were Harry and Richard. Any help?

Hi Clive.Thanks for message when i see Sue friday i will give her the info you have told me and i will get back 2 you.Thank's Again.Irene

Can anyone help with photographs of Church Road in Aston, pre 1965? My wife’s family lived at No 93 and unfortunately we have no images of the old houses.

Hi Brian, I have this aerial view from 1952 but that's all I'm afraid.
Hey John, that is great. By the time I arrived in Birmingham all of this history was gone. My wife’s family have been in Aston from what I see in the census reports since1871. This wonderful picture will help in so many ways. So once again Thank you for sending it and for marking it up for me.
Warmest Regards,
Brian

Back