• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church register entries

florence butler

master brummie
Phoebe mentioned in another thread that additional information may be given on church register entries other than recorded on the certificates. I wasn't aware of this. Does it happen often?

Florence :)

Yes this is correct, when I was looking through the burial register in a local church I found notes such as "Died in a moment when at work" "1st buried in the new ground" , "Found drowned in the sandpits" "Died of the cholera". All these entries were made during the first half of the 1800's. Not sure if such info. would be given in later entries.

Also unpleasant remarks can be made about an unmarried mother on her childs christening record . This is usually written in the side column.

Bo

One of my favourites that I've found is:

1786 - Lucy, daughter of Elizabeth XXXXX the wife of Benjamin who has been beyond the seas for the last 10 years.

You can almost hear the sniffs.

I remember seeing information on a birth on the LDS site cannot remember the names or year but where it stated born, it said lying on a bed in hospital
Jeoffry

Back