• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church rate riots and the Wolfson Centre for Archival Research.

David George

Hi everyone,
I’m a historian looking into the St. Martin’s church ‘riot’ of 1831, (it wasn’t really a riot at all) and in particular the actions of the reverend Thomas Moseley, and the political struggle between the Birmingham Political Union (who fought for franchise reform and sought to end the mandatory imposition of church rates), and their opponents the Birmingham Loyal and Constitutional Association who declared:

We hold ourselves pledged to resist all measures by which the connection between the Church and State may be severed or relaxed – the dignity of the Monarchy impaired or its Existence endangered - the Efficiency of the House of Lords as an integral Branch of the Legislature diminished, or the Deliberative Powers of the Commons’ House of Parliament become fettered or controlled; a we are convinced that the Independence of the Established Authorities is essential to the Existence of Social Order, the Security of Property, and the Interests of Religion.

There are two pamphlets in the Wolfson Centre for Archival Research in Birmingham that I would dearly like copies of but (a) they do not provide copying services and (b) I live in Australia. I was wondering if anyone here might be visiting this archive and be able to scan the pamphlets for me? If so, they are

1.East (Rev. T.) A letter to the Rev. Thomas Moseley, by the Rev. T. East, explanatory of the speech etc. delivered by him on the church rate question etc. 27pp. 1834. MOSELEY (Rev. THOMAS) Works relating to.

2. A letter addressed to the Rev. Thomas Moseley, Rector of St. Martin's, on the partiality he displayed at the vestry meeting held on the 17th November, 1830. With suggestions to the rate payers, how to prevent such improper conduct on part of the chairman etc. 10pp. 1830. RUSSELL (JOSEPH)

I would really appreciate the help, but understand if no-one is able to assist.

David M. George

Back