• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church of the Saviour Edward Street Ladywood

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hello folks,
I have today received a marriage cert from 1854 & the Church they married in has got me stumped...any info out there ??

Church of the Saviour Edward Street. "According to the rites & ceremonies of the UNITED CHRISTIANS " The cert was signed by the Minister & also by a Registrar ( once again I have never seen that before either ).

Margaret.

The marriage Act of 1836 enabled nonconformist chapels to be licensed for marriages. However, the local registrar had to be in attendance and he kept the only official record, it was only from 1898 that nonconformists were given the right, if they wished, to request the Register General to appoint and authorised person from their congregation to act as registrar of marriages

Many thanks to you both for your info, which has helped me very much. I have now noticed on the cert that there is no mention of Banns either. So this is a most interesting marriage cert all round. Once again my thanks to you both...much appreciated.

Margaret.

Thank You, Elaine, for posting this image of the Church - what an interesting building - was it still in use as a Church when it was demolished ? Someone on this brilliant site will know !!!
Thank you again, I appreciate it very much.
Skylark.

Hi Skylark - the only other information - in 1896 the church was sold to a Methodist Congregation. The proceeds from the sale were donated to another Unitarian church in Waverley Road. This information was taken from Wikipedia - I am still trying to find out more information on this, so I am not to sure if it continue as Church or Sunday School - regards Elaine.

Hi Skylark, i have some information for you on the Church of the Saviour, based on the corner of Edward Street - Helena Street Ladywood the church was built for George Dawson who was a preacher of the church - after years of this building being a church, it finally finished it life as The Lyric Cinema in 1919 and finally closed late 1959 once the cinema was demolished 1960, there was another building on the same corner, called Westfield House, which has also been demolished 2014. you can do further reading on George Dawson if you are interested on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Saviour,_Birmingham - I hope this information will help regards Elaine

Attachments

• LW - Edward Street - Helena Street Ladywood Birmingham - Lyric Cinema 1919 to 1959 - formerly ...jpg
    LW - Edward Street - Helena Street Ladywood Birmingham - Lyric Cinema 1919 to 1959 - formerly ...jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 23
  • LW - Helena Street Ladywood Birmingham - Taken from Edward Street 2014 - Westfield House has b...jpg
    LW - Helena Street Ladywood Birmingham - Taken from Edward Street 2014 - Westfield House has b...jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 21
  • LW - Helena Street Ladywood Birmingham - Taken from Edward Street 2008 White Building Westfiel...jpg
    LW - Helena Street Ladywood Birmingham - Taken from Edward Street 2008 White Building Westfiel...jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thank you once again, Elaine, for this extra info on the Church - I will certainly be looking on Wikipedia .
Your help is appreciated.
Skylark.

Back