• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Of The Messiah Broad Street (unitarian)

ssss.jpeg

Not a brilliant picture but this was in 1865.

rosie, if you find it interesting it my plesure to post it.

cccv.jpeg

This one again is not a brilliant photo from 1948, it was taken from almost the same angle as an earlier post.

img600.jpg
I have just come across this photo, I thought I had posted all the ones I had. It is not a brilliant photo but I hope someone will find it interesting. 1865

"]I've walked past this church quite a few times when I was a nipper , I used to go to St Peters RC school and church which was to the rear of this curch[/QUOTE]

another piece of fine architecture raised to the ground and for what??

lyn

A very impressive building. Noting the Chamberlain connection it does suggest there was a good deal of money available to build the place. It would be interesting to know by what number the congregation had dwindled in the years leading to demolition. The thing for so many buildings, such as churches, that those who use them dwindle and the costs to maintain them is not there. The country has many instances where such places have been demolished or converted to dwellings. There is also the factor that many inner city churches loose their congregations as they move to the outer suburbs moreover the lack of parking can also be a present day feature.
Is the canal, over which the church was built, now open to the sky? Or is a newer structure presently over the canal?

Last edited:
"]I've walked past this church quite a few times when I was a nipper , I used to go to St Peters RC school and church which was to the rear of this curch

another piece of fine architecture raised to the ground and for what??

lyn[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with you there Lyn

Hi Rosie The church of the Messiah british school -- broad street
Was in existence in 1868 and known as Broad street Board school. it received annual grants from1869.
It was supported by the Unitarian congregation but was undenominatioal, closed in1873 it then had accomodation
For 531, the next year it openend as broad street [temporary ] Board school by the Birmingham school Board,
ALL fees 1d It closed in1879

hi mike what as happenend to my peice i wrote 25 mins abiut the school of the messiagh where as it gone before lynn put her peice in mine as disappeared how ?

Hi maurice, like wise here except my opologises because when i posted to you i missed out the wording thank you for replying as i was thinking of some think and not concetrating what i was writing so any way again maurice thank you for correcting the number take care Alan Astonian;;;

Back