• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church of the Ascension Hall Green

john bev

master brummie
HI i would be happy if anyone could recognise the church in the attached photo, i think its in the aston area

Attachments

• Former John Marson Chapel, now The Ascension Hall Green.jpg
    Former John Marson Chapel, now The Ascension Hall Green.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 11
Hi again i dont seem to be having much luck with the name of this church i think it was taken early 60's late 50's it is in Birmingham someone said it maybe St Marys Acocks green it seems a plain front door i notice a few gravestones on the right hand side .thanks again John

Hi John

Sorry I cant recognise the church but if you know the dates and the names of the people who are getting married in the photograph if you obtain a copy of the marriage certificate it would give you the name of the Parish Church it took place in.

Hi Maryann The photograph has turned up in some old family photo's i am not sure who the family is .I think it might be the Day family, my idea was similar to yours trace the church then work the other way around by going through weddings at the church. thanks anyway . John

Hi John,
The door and circular window above in your photograph looks the same as the one on the right of this photograph of the Church of the Ascension Hall Green.

Is that the church on the corner of Fox Hollies & School Rd? If so, its not too far from Acocks Green.

Yes the Church of Ascension is at the junction of School Rd. and Fox Hollies. If its not this church, could be another by same architect? Ann

I would like to say a big thank you for all the help regarding the church .After visiting the church sugested i now think this must be the church of ascension hall green. I can now try to find out who the people are the photo i beleive to be taken around late 1950
. Thanks to you all John

I would like to say a big thank you for all the help regarding the church .After visiting the church sugested i now think this must be the church of ascension hall green. I can now try to find out who the people are the photo i beleive to be taken around late 1950
. Thanks to you all John
You are definitely correct John.
This church used to be known as Hall Green Parish Church and I attended there in the early 50's.

The Vicar was Rev Chatterton and they held Fellowship there which was very popular in southern Birmingham.
We put on our own dances and and film shows etc usually, because of the large numbers attending, we would move in to a nearby school.
I don't suppose that there are any left from that vintage as I am 87.

Please post the pic again for me John...I might even be on it.

Back