• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

jayf : a very late reply to your Post #37 from 2015 ....
I too attended Church of Christ in Sparkhill (on Stratford Road near Court Road junction). I went to their Sunday School in the early 1960s which was held in the small hall behind the church. I recall a number of Sunday School daytrips to places like Wicksteed Park in Northamptonshire.
And I also went to the Friday evening club called F.O.Y. (Fellowship of Youth). The club was run by 2 older girls when I went there - I think their names were Eileen and Sue.
Another late reply - I have only just come across this forum while trawling through the internet. I, too, attended the Church of Christ in Sparkhill from the late 50s to the late 60s - I lived just around the corner in Showell Green Lane. I was married there by the Revd Jim Garrow in 1971, but the minister for most of my younger years was a young man called Geoff Herickx - he and his wife, Mo, were great with us youngsters. I also remember going on outings to Wicksteed Park and also to the seaside at Brean Sounds - I still have a scar on my left leg from falling off some rocks at Brean and gouging a lump out of my leg! I went on a couple of weekends to Barnes Close (I do have a group photo from one weekend) and also to the young people's holiday centre at Grendon Hall in Northamptonshire. The FOY was a social highlight of the week although I seem to remember it being run by Brian Jones. If the leader you remember was named Eileen it was probably the Eileen (can't remember her maiden name) who married another member of the church, Alan Hammond. Again trawling through the internet I discovered that they eventually had a son called Richard - and, yes,he is that Richard Hammond from "Top Gear". Lots more memories if you are interested.

Hi Sparky Jen .... we must have seen each other at the church. I do recall Geoff Herickx. I wasn't a big churchgoer, but I did receive about 6 book rewards for regular attendance at the Sunday School, and I regularly attended the monthly Family Service for a few years.
Great link to Richard Hammond !
Here's a 1987 photo of the church .... after it had been converted to a temple.

Sparkhill Stratford Road ex-Church of Christ 1987.JPG

jayf : a very late reply to your Post #37 from 2015 ....
I too attended Church of Christ in Sparkhill (on Stratford Road near Court Road junction). I went to their Sunday School in the early 1960s which was held in the small hall behind the church. I recall a number of Sunday School daytrips to places like Wicksteed Park in Northamptonshire.
And I also went to the Friday evening club called F.O.Y. (Fellowship of Youth). The club was run by 2 older girls when I went there - I think their names were Eileen and Sue.
I attended church of Christ too from the early 60,s to the late 70,s. I loved the fellowship there and remember the Sunday school outings . The Sunday school was run by Edwina when I attended.

Back