• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church name please

S

steerboy

hi all

During the last week or so you have been trying to help me find Florence Georgina Hewitt B.June 1887 with little success, after the disappointing visit to B.Ham Library yesterday I searched again on BMD and found what could be her getting married to Herbert (Bertie) Maries B.March 1888 in the Sept quarter 1913 Aston 6d 779.

I am now hoping someone can come up with the name of a church that they might have married at so I can look it up on my next trip, I would expect it to be in the Bordesley/ Deritend area based on what little I know of her history.

Any help again will be gratefully received. Regards Steerboy.

That would be very difficult there were so many churches in Aston. The easy way I think, would be to send for the marriage certificate.

Hi Steerboy :) Best to get marriage cert as Wendy kindly suggests,
also they may not even have married in a Church?
Could be a Registrary Office,, probably B,ham, (Aston/B,ham use same 6d ref)
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Hi Wendy and John.
All that you say is correct of course but Florence can only be a "minor" in my family tree at best so she has become a "itch I can not scratch" and to be honest I am enjoying the chase, so my plan is to spend a couple of hours at the library this week looking in all the likely places in Sept 1913 for the marriage and if I fail to find her then I will stroll over the way to the new Registrar office and purchase her birth Cert.

I have not been to the New Registrar office yet have you?:cry: so that will be an experience in its self I expect.

Best regards Steerboy

Hi Steerboy :) Thanks for your comments & good luck in Library,
ps The new Reg Office, off Broad St go down Bridge St next to The Hyatt
turn right at bottom of the hill (Bridge St) go under the Bridge & the
Registrary office 100 yards up the road on your left,,
ps The visit,,is an Experience ,but nil desperandum,, eh!
Best regards JohnY :cool:

Last edited:
Hi Chris
thanks for that, once its up and running in full it will be a great help to all especially if they name the street it is on as well as the district as I found in my own research into St Davids Bissel St Highgate as I do not think I would have found it as easy as I did if it had just had the district to rely on

Regards Steerboy

Back