• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Lane and Church Road, Aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
church road...

ChurchRd2.jpg

Re: church lane and church road..aston

church lane...not sure if this one will turn out ok..

ChurchLane3.jpg

Does any body recall isleys coal yard at the church lane and victoria rd
i beleive the woman married into the jelfs as i have been told or it was vice a versa
jelf married an isley i have recently learnt and that they made or sold the isley pistols or guns and had a shop in carrs lane in the city
best wishes astonian

yes i used to fetch all the coal for our neighbours for sixpence a time you had to go to the coal yard fill up with hundred weight of coal then haul it down to their house then take back the barrow or do it again if someone else wanted coal, the barrows weighed more than the coal !!!! we used to earn money chopping up firewood and filling a pram with bundles and selling them door to door, but the best was when villa played at home we "mind your car please sir" and had our own patch ours was bright street (why they called it that i dont because all the street lights were smashed) we filled up the street and then sneaked off home until the match finished and return to rake in the cash, then home to mom,give her half and my brother and i split the rest. things we did for pocket money now they charge a fiver a time! dave

to Astoness Thanks once more very Grateful and Wonderful to see
Dave

This is where our hockey team used to walk for training in our short skirts. There was a carpenters on the left whose staff used to whistle and come out with rude remarks. Things never change do they????

Hi Lyn
I am realy enjoying looking at your photos. Love the one with the kids in the street.

Stars

Astoness, no1 is church lane..l knew it well my gd/parents bill and alice coates lived and died there and every saturday it was a ritual shopping with mom ...after Thompsons we always went down to visit my g/parents in church lane, they both died in 1946 within 10 days of each other..thank you for the pictures.....Brenda

great to read everyones memories of this area...keep em coming folks....

lyn

I lved in Queens Road in 40's and 50's, Church Lane ran across the top end with the' Queens' pub on the corner (on the right of Pic 2 but but out of sight. I am puzzled as to where those new looking buildings are (behind the van and car)in the distance in Pic 1, I thought it was Church Lane looking towards the Tavern in Aston Hall Rd but cannot be. Mysterious ??? Eric

Does any body recall isleys coal yard at the church lane and victoria rd
i beleive the woman married into the jelfs as i have been told or it was vice a versa
jelf married an isley i have recently learnt and that they made or sold the isley pistols or guns and had a shop in carrs lane in the city
best wishes astonian
I do remember the name Isley's Alan.

Those are the masonettes in church lane they are still standing today and was built in the late 60,s next to the local shops
dave

oh great these were our local shops fantastic, the drug store was run by a old lady that could really lay lay into any cheeky children with her tounge and next door was the grocery shop where we got our 2 fags for sixpence!!!! trying to think of the name of the woman who run it ? bunty ? or something like that, wish someone had a photo of the newsagent opposite but hey never mind thank you Astoness you are a true brummie
dave

oh dave i am so pleased that the pics mean so much to you...you never know you may get one of the newsagents yet...

lyn

C (Charlie) Drinkwater was my Nans butcher in the !950's and 60's she swore by him and never went any where else, she told me he was in the RAF during the War on the Barrage Ballons

yes remember mr drinkwater he had two shops knocked into one for some reason but he only opened one side.

HI;
I recall old mr drinkwater from aston church lane nechells from many years ago
when i was in my youth at the bromford tube limited in bromford i was his asstintant on a draw tube machine
when learning tube drawing first he was an asstanted to a guy of a german oringin then he got promoted
to a tube bench on his own and i got assigend to him as a asstistant to him

this is a very long shot as I see this post was in 2011 (12 years ago!) Has anyone got a photo of bromford tube works?

My mothers brother and wife lived on Church Lane. Bill & Agnes Forknall. They had a daughter Agnes who became a Chartered Accountant. When I emigrated to the US they were the last family I visited before going to the boat. I so clearly remember leaving their house on my bike going past Aston and Villa parks up Trinity Rd on to Heathfield Rd to Handsworth!

First time I have seen this thread, Lyn if you see this do you have those images without the water marks please.

Attachments

• church-lane-aston.jpg
    church-lane-aston.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Back