• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chunk works Coventry Road

Just an idea, which I would like Tinpot's opinion on. AS there seems, as yet , to be no evidence of a real cotton mill that might give rise to
the name Cotton St, I was wondering if the name came from the use of its products. As I understand it, fibres, including cotton have to be carded to remove rubbish and align threads, this is done by running the raw material through rollers which are covered in pins. William Phipson was originally a pin maker, so could it be that a large proportion of his pins were aimed at the carding industry?

Just an idea, which I would like Tinpot's opinion on. AS there seems, as yet , to be no evidence of a real cotton mill that might give rise to
the name Cotton St, I was wondering if the name came from the use of its products. As I understand it, fibres, including cotton have to be carded to remove rubbish and align threads, this is done by running the raw material through rollers which are covered in pins. William Phipson was originally a pin maker, so could it be that a large proportion of his pins were aimed at the carding industry?
I knew I had read this somewhere about carding. So maybe. I have also thought about cotton and paper milling.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Tinpot. Was not aware of that. There are several mentions of Lewis Paul and his machine in the newspaper archives, though he did not seem to make any money from it, and I cannot find any connection to Fazeley St or Philpots.

According to the Birmingham Daily Post of August 1861 collections of Robert Cole FSA went under the hammer.

Compton and Arkwright little more the than plaglarists according to Lewis Paul !

4015C6BB-C1EE-4DA0-9AF0-E286D211A618.jpeg

Other references seem to agree that he preceded Arkwright with John Wynn but was not well supported. He later invented the carding machine

According to the Birmingham Daily Post of August 1861 collections of Robert Cole FSA went under the hammer.

Compton and Arkwright little more the than plaglarists according to Lewis Paul !

View attachment 161671

The Birmingham Gazette goes on to explain that it is perhaps a wide of the truth to say that Lewis Paul invented the machinery for spinning cotton as to claim that honour for Arkwright…The honour should go to John Wyatt of Birmingham…

C454301A-58B2-472B-9D2E-24DD28283882.jpegE16FE105-F783-4FBE-BB1A-D68A8FEAB54E.jpeg

Article linked below suggests: Water mills also served to change the balance of power, both locally and nationally. On a local level, whoever operated and controlled the mill had the most power.
Thank you for sharing that article, it explains why they would have needed to access the mill as they would have needed that power for forging metals. They were fire iron makers.

Back