• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas Menu 1945

Certainly of interest, Jules65, and thanks for posting it.

It prompted me to look at my elder brother's wondefully detailed memoir of his Army service. He spent Christmas 1945 many miles to the north, in Milan. He described it briefly thus:

"Christmas came and went, my fourth and final one in the Army, as later events were to confirm. The celebrations passed off enjoyably, and it was at this time, and at the New Year, we discovered that some of the local young bloods had their own ways of marking the festive season, one of which involved discharging rockets and other fireworks along the pavement and street in a horizontal direction. This we found most disconcerting until we grew accustomed to them and knew when to take evasive action".​

It would have been ironic if having survived the entire Sicilian and Italian campaigns, he had finally been felled by a civilian rocket!

It took a long time for those lads to get home permanently. My brother was overseas until November 1946, almost 4 years after embarking for North Africa. But at least he came back.

Chris

Thank you for posting the menu. The spelling intrigued me until ,on enlarging it , I realized the typewriter was very possibly suffering from battle fatigue. I had read the "e" as "o" most amusing, or had an Italian chef typed it?

Thank you for posting the menu. The spelling intrigued me until ,on enlarging it , I realized the typewriter was very possibly suffering from battle fatigue. I had read the "e" as "o" most amusing, or had an Italian chef typed it?

The Brown Sauce with Roast Turkey had me wondering. Do you think they mean gravy? lol

I have some newspapers printed for the forces whilst he was in Italy. Do you think they would be of interest. I would have to scan them half a page at a time though.

Back