• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

christmas in birmingham 1944

Very nice memories were ignited by that Mike. Apart from the visitors, that described Christmas in our house when I was a child.

What a lovely story, Mike. Thanks for sharing it. I especially liked the incident of Uncle "Santa" setting fire to his suit!

What a lovely story Mike although I wasn't born untill 1953 it still brought back so many memories. I know I was lucky to be born after the war! Hands up all those who only had a slice of Christmas pudding in the hope they would find a sixpence. My granny used the same silver sixpence's for years. We had to take them to her and cash them in for a new one.

Thanks Mike,
I shed a tear.
I've emailed my parents the link,
The contents of their stockings were very similar. My mother's best present arrived Christmas 1945,it was a hand made scooter , made from an old pram wheels, she was about 10 .
Santa and his elves were very good at recycling in those days.

Hi Wendy: That's me with the Christmas pudding looking for the sixpence! No foil to wrap it up in back then. I think I did get one at home one year but I do remember getting one at Fentham Girl's School. We had a special Xmas lunch every year and if you found a sixpence in the Christmas pudding you had to go to the Head Mistresses Office to say thank you which I did.

Christmas 1944, I had started work August 1943 at 14yrs of age, times were hard at least the air raids had stopped, hoping the war would end soon but it continued until 1945, bomb damage every where, rationing in force and most things in short supply but we tried to keep smiling. Len

Thanks Mike, I left school at Easter 1944, that was my first Christmas at Work, the Rover, Kings Road,when I read in the paper what kids nowadays get as presents I am amazed, are they any more happy or content, I dont know!
Bernard

Back