• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could only tolerate Father Christmas from a distance (bah humbug). Too scared to go and see him. Did anyone else not really like him ? Or am I the only wimpy scaredy-cat on here ?!!

Never took my own children to see him either. Prefer to keep it as a myth. The Father Christmas thing was all handled from a distance. My son refused to have him in the house so presents had to magically appear on the patio outside. Couldn’t be doing with any of that magic key stuff either. Some stranger in a red suit letting himself in. Noooooooooo .......

Viv (reaching for my copy of Dickens’s: A Christmas Carol !!!!)
mom said no. he could be anyone under that red suit:(

Thats the way to do it
i collected punch and judy puppets. mom bought me from peacocks in the bullring. 1608369793629.png
and i wanted a show for christmas. but never got one becouse dad said the house is to small for it.:joy:

Only ever saw him once - and I'm not sure where - but I remember when my mother saw his gift, she said that wasn't very good value for the money she paid. Times were hard when I was young. My own kids simply weren't interested when they saw the length of the queues, so I wasn't going to press the matter. There were 9 years between my oldest and youngest, so the myth of Father Christmas didn't last very long! I think they were far more interested in seeing what presents they had got than any guy in a red suit!

Maurice :cool:

mom said no. he could be anyone under that red suit:(
I was afraid when I was under 4. It didn't bother me that he could be in 3 places. He used to come to the school as well. My step daughter wont tell her children 'lies' so they found out early. But i said, they are not lies, he existed, the commercial stuff, yes that is a fabrication,. He lived in what is now Turkey a good man, who put coins in poor childrens' clogs left outside, as was their tradition then, those who were sent out to beg. He rescued young girls from a life prostitution. I looked all this up, but I remember my teacher Mrs Jenkins saying something similar, that he gave sweets to poor children at Christmas. After all I am named after him.

Yes, been there, Pete, but about as exciting as all the villages named Rome and Athens in most states of the USA :)

Maurice :cool:

how lovely pete...i have put this on my places to visit....and to go with it our dads favourite singer singing little town of bethleham

We sang a different to tune to this at school and with a descant but I love Jim Reeves's velvet voice. Mum sang Beth lu hem like Jim but I sang Beth lee hem. And I thought it was Away in a manger no crib for HER bed. The little Law Jesus lay down his swee ted. The cattle hello-ing etc. And, I thought in Silent Night it was sleep in heavenly peep. And we used to giggle at As with gladness men of old line, As they offered gifts most rare, at that manger rude and bare, and the choir mistress would go balisitic. Just been listening to Christmas Carols and songs on Elaine Paige.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nico, did you sing Hark the Harold angels sing too, and shepherds washed their socks by night!!
There were some carol singers out on Saturday, they tried to sing Once in Royal David's city to the tune of Away in a manger!!
rosie.

Socially distanced festivities

An unexpected twist to our Christmas 2020. Having done all the shopping for our ‘allowed’ family get together on the big day, we’ve now been plunged into Tier 4. So no visitors, a farm load of spuds, parsnips, carrots and sprouts and just two of us to graze our way through them. So today I’ve tackled the subject of parsnips. Made a massive pot of parsnip soup - not your run of the mill parsnip soup - but a very tasty, spicy, creamy and garlicky soup. Absolutely delicious with some crusty bread. Plenty left over to freeze too.

Went to the butchers fully intending to cancel either the turkey or the beef order, but we felt sorry for them and came out with the same order but specially cut by them for different meals and occasions. So we have some lovely pieces for meals further down the line. Some will be frozen as it’s all fresh meat.

We might even recreate Christmas Day when the heat is off, when we’re out of tiers (tears ?!), my son can come back into the country, we can share the fun with our granddaughter and we can celebrate having got through this. In fact I’ve decided we shall celebrate the smallest of reasons and be truly grateful we have each other. Looking forward to better times and eating up some of our delicious festive supplies together.

Viv.

Last edited:
Socially distanced festivities

An unexpected twist to our Christmas 2020. Having done all the shopping for our ‘allowed’ family get together on the big day, we’ve now been plunged into Tier 4. So no visitors, a farm load of spuds, parsnips, carrots and sprouts and just two of us to graze our way through them. So today I’ve tackled the subject of parsnips. Made a massive pot of parsnip soup - not your run of the mill parsnip soup - but a very tasty, spicy, creamy and garlicky soup. Absolutely delicious with some crusty bread. Plenty left over to freeze too.

Went to the butchers fully intending to cancel either the turkey or the beef order, but we felt sorry for them and came out with the same order but specially cut by them for different meals and occasions. So we have some lovely pieces for meals further down the line. Some will be frozen as it’s all fresh meat.

We might even recreate Christmas Day when the heat is off, when we’re out of tiers (tears ?!), my son can come back into the country, we can share the fun with our granddaughter and we can celebrate having got through this. In fact I’ve decided we shall celebrate the smallest of reasons and be truly grateful we have each other. Looking forward to better times and eating up some of our delicious festive supplies together.

Viv.
WONDERFUL!

last year we had cockerel. and beef, i was a bit reluctant to chomp it when my friend brought it around for christmas dinner.as i never had it before,

Not really Mike, but where there’s a will !

Just cracked open some ‘special’ biscuits - nice almond ones with little bits of cranberry in. Very tasty. At this rate, we’ll have nowt left for Christmas Day. But you know how it is when you get started.

Viv.

Is it any different to chicken Pete ? My mum sometimes got a capon at Christmas. From memory, can’t say it was any different to chicken. Not sure I know what a capon is ! Off to Google ..... Viv.

Is it any different to chicken Pete ? My mum sometimes got a capon at Christmas. From memory, can’t say it was any different to chicken. Not sure I know what a capon is ! Off to Google ..... Viv.
its a cockrel with a very high voice.;);)it tasted just like chicken to me:yum:yum

...back from Googling. A capon’s a cockerel! Well I never knew that .... Pete. Mum never called it a cockerel and in all these years I’ve never checked it out. . Viv.

Not really Mike, but where there’s a will !

Just cracked open some ‘special’ biscuits - nice almond ones with little bits of cranberry in. Very tasty. At this rate, we’ll have nowt left for Christmas Day. But you know how it is when you get started.

Viv.
I really like goat cheese with bits of cranberry mixed in on a cracker (biscuit) with a couple of large glasses of Zinfandel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back