• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're right, Pedro, as I've never heard of any old folks being beaten up. In fact, about 6 years ago I got a flat tyre and pulled up on a car park to change it at about 11:00 pm at night. Two youths came over and insisted they do it for me and wouldn't even let me give them the price of a drink. That's what I really call gentlemen. Same with the kids in the village - they always say hello in Greek or English, and always call me sir. Very respectful, and I repay them when they come around carol singing or Hallowe'en by giving them a fiver. It works both ways.

Maurice :cool:

I think you're right, Pedro, as I've never heard of any old folks being beaten up. In fact, about 6 years ago I got a flat tyre and pulled up on a car park to change it at about 11:00 pm at night. Two youths came over and insisted they do it for me and wouldn't even let me give them the price of a drink. That's what I really call gentlemen. Same with the kids in the village - they always say hello in Greek or English, and always call me sir. Very respectful, and I repay them when they come around carol singing or Hallowe'en by giving them a fiver. It works both ways.

Maurice :cool:
hello. our Maurice Sir!...... just donate my fiver

For the Christmas Season of Goodwill & Giving!

I asked one of my friends who has crossed 70 & is heading to 80 what sort of changes he is feeling in himself?
He sent me the following very interesting lines, which I would like to share with you ....

#1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children, my friends, now I have started loving myself.

#2 I just realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.

#3 I now stopped bargaining with vegetables & fruits vendors. A few pennies more is not going to burn a hole in my pocket but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.

#4 I pay my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than me

#5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down the memory lane & relive the past.

#6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.

#7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You"

#8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.

#9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.

#10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.

#11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.

#12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships I will never be alone.

#13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.

#14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!

I decided to send this to all my friends. Why do we have to wait to be 70 or 80, why can't we practice this at any stage and age....

I stole this, I don't know who to credit it to, but thank you!
Thank you for that. I have just read this on my 70th birthday and I'll try to live by it from now on
Carolann

I love most Carols. I do like The Birds' Carol. Reminds me of the birdies, school and my friends, Mr and Mrs Bird. The Sussex Carol. The Coventry Carol. Brightest and Best - our friend Barbara, former opera singer now in an OAPs home. I hope she still sings. Carols remind me of people. O Come All Ye Faithful - my aunty. While Shepherds Watched, my Nan. Not a Carol but The 12 Days Of Christmas, my friend Carol born at Christmastime, Christmas Carol. She is quite frail now. Can't even sing. Silent Night, I sang that with a breaking voice at an OAPs home with my classmates. Was about 14. They didn't want to let go of our hands. My Partner likes Le Cantique de Noel, O Holy Night. Her mum and her aunty played it on the church organ. She likes O Tannenbaum too, and The First Noel. I like harmony ones. Hark The Herald Angels Sing and O Come etc. What Child Is This sung to Geensleeves. God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman- my mate, Carol's husband. I had to translate Good King Wenceslas to a young Frenchman of that name. He was well pleased he had never heard of it. Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. And when I was in the choir, Nan said, so yowm in the Ky ya.! Sleep Little Jesus Sleep with a high descant and none of us could do it really - Deo Gloria Ave Maria. The Desert Shall Rejoice!

We learned new Carols for the school choir, till my voice broke with different parts in them and Nan said can't they teach ya summat we know. She found "At Christmas Time Was Born A King Allelulia." Too high falutin. & Bethlehem lies sleeping. The grandchildren sing new ones, to a tape. But I like Little Donkey & Mary's Boy Child, was it Cy Grant?
I watched the Three Tenors from Vienna last night Christmas Carols, recorded in 1999. I turned it up!

I LOVE ALL THE XMAS CAROLS AS I WENT TO A CATHOLIC JUNIOR SCHOOL SO WE ALWAYS DONE AN NATIVITY PLAY EVERY YEAR WHERE I LEARNT ALL THE SONGS BUT WHAT HAS ALWAYS STUCK IN MY MIND WAS THIS VERSION OF WHiLE SHEPERDS WATCH I DONT KNOW WHO TAUGHT ME THIS BUT IT ALWAYS PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE .
'WHILE SHEPERDS WASH THEIR SOCKS LAST NIGHT
ALL SEATED ROUND THE SINK
THE ANGEL OF THE LORD CAME DOWN AND SAID
POO WHAT A STINK".

I LOVE ALL THE XMAS CAROLS AS I WENT TO A CATHOLIC JUNIOR SCHOOL SO WE ALWAYS DONE AN NATIVITY PLAY EVERY YEAR WHERE I LEARNT ALL THE SONGS BUT WHAT HAS ALWAYS STUCK IN MY MIND WAS THIS VERSION OF WHiLE SHEPERDS WATCH I DONT KNOW WHO TAUGHT ME THIS BUT IT ALWAYS PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE .
POO WHAT A STINK".

my favourite christmas song which always takes me back to our nativity plays is little donkey..but someone and i dont know who made up these words to the tune of we three kings

we four beatles of orient are
john in a taxi paul in a car
george in a scooter bibbing his hooter
following ringo star :D :D

my favourite christmas song which always takes me back to our nativity plays is little donkey..but someone and i dont know who made up these words to the tune of we three kings

we four beatles of orient are
john in a taxi paul in a car
george in a scooter bibbing his hooter
following ringo star :D :D
love it lyn we sang
:grinning:one on a scooter blowing his hooter going to perry barr

POO WHAT A STINK".

We sang,
While Shepherds watched their flocks by night all watching ITV,
The Angel of the Lord came down and switched to BBC.
I got clout for that, "you don't blaspheme! "said mum.

I have heard much worse since then.

I was given two Carol Books, with the music, one from dear departed friends, from St Patrick's Cathedral, so some of the RC Carols I had not heard of. Another beautiful book from my friends the Birds, (Mr and Mrs Bird.) Both beautifully illustrated . And one I bought written for piano beginners like me when I was at 11, The Easiest Tune Book of Christmas Carols. Even I could play them except when my teacher, joined in with the violin. But I thought for years and years it was June, not Tune! Away In A Manger.jpgIn The Bleak Midwinter.jpgThe Easiest Tune Book.jpg
love it lyn we sang
:grinning:one on a scooter blowing his hooter going to perry barr
While Shepherd watched their flocks by night all watching ITV
The Angel of The Lord Came Down and switched to BBC.
I got told off and not to blaspheme by mum.

Last edited by a moderator:
We sang,
While Shepherds watched their flocks by night all watching ITV,
The Angel of the Lord came down and switched to BBC.
I got clout for that, "you don't blaspheme! "said mum.

I have heard much worse since then.

I was given two Carol Books, with the music, one from dear departed friends, from St Patrick's Cathedral, so some of the RC Carols I had not heard of. Another beautiful book from my friends the Birds, (Mr and Mrs Bird.) Both beautifully illustrated . And one I bought written for piano beginners like me when I was at 11, The Easiest Tune Book of Christmas Carols. Even I could play them except when my teacher, joined in with the violin. But I thought for years and years it was June, not Tune!

While Shepherd watched their flocks by night all watching ITV
The Angel of The Lord Came Down and switched to BBC.
I got told off and not to blaspheme by mum.
you should not have said BBC:grinning:

Good King Wenceslas Looked out in a Mini Minor
Bumped in to a Trolley Bus. landed up in China,
Good King Wenceslas looked out in a Standard Eight
Bumped in to a Trolley Bus, landed on a gate.
Good King Wenceslas looked out, (or Good King Wenclas Last Looked out I thought it was) In an Austin Severn,
Bumped in to a Trolley Bus, Landed up in Heaven

Good King Wenceslas Looked out in a Mini Minor
Bumped in to a Trolley Bus. landed up in China,
Good King Wenceslas looked out in a Standard Eight
Bumped in to a Trolley Bus, landed on a gate.
Good King Wenceslas looked out, (or Good King Wenclas Last Looked out I thought it was) In an Austin Severn,
Bumped in to a Trolley Bus, Landed up in Heaven
you get worse. behave:grinning:

My memories of Christmas started about a week before when the choir that I was in at St John's Church Sparkhill used to go carol singing in the local area. Members of the congregation would book us for a visit in the evening & we would go along & sing about half a dozen carols all the way through, a donation would be made that went towards the annual visit to a pantomime in Birmingham. Christmas Eve & the whole choir would meet up at the Women's Hospital in Showell Green Lane & we would travel around all the wards singing carols, led by nurses with lanterns, a very emotional occasion, especially for the patients. Afterwards we gathered with hospital staff in a large staff room where we were treated to a very nice supper.
Christmas Eve midnight, the church held a service, but I was not allowed to go as too young, but 11.00 o;clock Christmas Day the church would be packed with people & we had a full choir in attendance. Us youngsters never missed this one as after the service we all received a shiny new sixpence from the choirmaster, Mr Adams in addition to the small remuneration that we received every quarter, then home to lunch. Great times & memories.

Missing going into four care homes this year with our Pastor to sing the usual carols. All the residents enjoyed it, and many appearing to be asleep, suddenly woke and joined in. Many of them in tears as it brought back lovely memories
Hope next year better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back