• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
have copied this from a friend
Put up your tree and decorations and get ready to have a different but amazing Christmas
T’was a month before Christmas,
And all through the town,
People wore masks,
That covered their frown.
The frown had begun
Way back in the Spring,
When a global pandemic
Changed everything.
They called it corona,
But unlike the beer,
It didn’t bring good times,
It didn’t bring cheer.
Contagious and deadly,
This virus spread fast,
Like a wildfire that starts
When fueled by gas.
Airplanes were grounded,
Travel was banned.
Borders were closed
Across air, sea and land.
As the world entered lockdown
To flatten the curve,
The economy halted,
And folks lost their nerve.
From March to July
We rode the first wave,
People stayed home,
They tried to behave.
When summer emerged
The lockdown was lifted.
But away from caution,
Many folks drifted.
Now it’s November
And cases are spiking,
Wave two has arrived,
Much to our disliking.
Frontline workers,
Doctors and nurses,
Try to save people,
From riding in hearses.
This virus is awful,
This COVID-19.
There isn’t a cure.
There is no vaccine.
It’s true that this year
Has had sadness a plenty,
We’ll never forget
The year 2020.
And just ‘round the corner -
The holiday season,
But why be merry?
Is there even one reason?
To decorate the house
And put up the tree,
When no one will see it,
No-one but me.
But outside my window
The snow gently falls,
And I think to myself,
Let’s deck the halls!
So, I gather the ribbon,
The garland and bows,
As I play those old carols,
My happiness grows.
Christmas ain’t cancelled
And neither is hope.
If we lean on each other,
I know we can cope.

My Dad, had a Fretsaw machine remember those? He loved to make things with it. he made my Sister Joan a Dolls house one year and one year he made me this Yank Jeep that I still have, complete with string to pull it along Lot different now with all the store you can go buy at10408661_1177179872309865_1071056459279964850_n.jpg

My Leicester mate always has cold turkey and chips on boxing day.
My great gran, mum said made a raised pork pie for boxing day with pickled peaches she had done in the summer.
We watched The Royals Christmas tonight on TV and they said the Queen gives stockings with fruit and nuts in. My late Irish friend always said, it'll soon be Christmas and we'll all have some nuts, when she was fed up.

My mum's memories of Christmas were like the Royals having to change clothes about 4 times a day as on Sundays except it was only 2 sets of the same clothes. They all went to church before dinner so they had to change in the morning to their Sunday best, then for Evensong or Midnight Mass as on Christmas Eve. They walked like everybody did then, singing arm in arm and got invited in to various houses for a tot of something. As they lived the opposite end to the church Nan and Grandad were staggering by the time they got in.

I remember my mate's mum in law, who was very nervy, spilled whiskey on the After Eight's his mum had fanned out in a nice dish, and they tasted lovely!

I remember the first Christmas my partner invited my family for dinner and traditionally (for her) put out smoked salmon with toast and a wedge of lemon, you should have seen Nan's face. Roast turkey with a sauce, no gravy, served with game chips, and chestnut stuffing, and sprouts. Where's the potato's she asked.? A big measure of apple brandy, that thawed Nan out a bit, then cheeses, lots of them, that pleased dad with french bread or brown bread, but no crackers! Then Christmas pudding and no custard, but pouring cream but lots of brandy, and then we had Irish Coffee. Nan passed on the cream but not the whiskey. She never came after that at Christmas which was very awkward for me as she lived with mum and dad. But she used to come at New Year under great sufferance as my partner's mum (whom Nan called the old girl, who was about 20 years younger than Nan), always came from France and she was quite keen on my partner's uncle, who was liked by everybody. We have paté now and potatoes and carrotts and parsnips and sage and onion stuffing and crackers, if Nan is looking down, tutting.

I remember the first Christmas my partner invited my family for dinner and traditionally (for her) put out smoked salmon with toast and a wedge of lemon, you should have seen Nan's face. Roast turkey with a sauce, no gravy, served with game chips, and chestnut stuffing, and sprouts. Where's the potato's she asked.? A big measure of apple brandy, that thawed Nan out a bit, then cheeses, lots of them, that pleased dad with french bread or brown bread, but no crackers! Then Christmas pudding and no custard, but pouring cream but lots of brandy, and then we had Irish Coffee. Nan passed on the cream but not the whiskey. She never came after that at Christmas which was very awkward for me as she lived with mum and dad. But she used to come at New Year under great sufferance as my partner's mum (whom Nan called the old girl, who was about 20 years younger than Nan), always came from France and she was quite keen on my partner's uncle, who was liked by everybody. We have paté now and potatoes and carrotts and parsnips and sage and onion stuffing and crackers, if Nan is looking down, tutting.

I would to have met your Nan Nico, she sounds a great character!!:D
Lynn.

I would to have met your Nan Nico, she sounds a great character!!:D
Lynn.
She was. Maybe a typical Black Country woman although she said she wasn't Black Country. My school mates liked her, saying Nan was trendy and funny. They believed as did, I her stories. She had an on going one sided war with my dad and ended up living with him and mum so they called a sort of truce but it took 60 years I think. There must have been a lot like her as I read the Forum memories. "Arm 'Ead, Cook, an' Bottlewasher.!"

have copied this from a friend
Put up your tree and decorations and get ready to have a different but amazing Christmas
T’was a month before Christmas,
And all through the town,
People wore masks,
That covered their frown.
The frown had begun
Way back in the Spring,
When a global pandemic
Changed everything.
They called it corona,
But unlike the beer,
It didn’t bring good times,
It didn’t bring cheer.
Contagious and deadly,
This virus spread fast,
Like a wildfire that starts
When fueled by gas.
Airplanes were grounded,
Travel was banned.
Borders were closed
Across air, sea and land.
As the world entered lockdown
To flatten the curve,
The economy halted,
And folks lost their nerve.
From March to July
We rode the first wave,
People stayed home,
They tried to behave.
When summer emerged
The lockdown was lifted.
But away from caution,
Many folks drifted.
Now it’s November
And cases are spiking,
Wave two has arrived,
Much to our disliking.
Frontline workers,
Doctors and nurses,
Try to save people,
From riding in hearses.
This virus is awful,
This COVID-19.
There isn’t a cure.
There is no vaccine.
It’s true that this year
Has had sadness a plenty,
We’ll never forget
The year 2020.
And just ‘round the corner -
The holiday season,
But why be merry?
Is there even one reason?
To decorate the house
And put up the tree,
When no one will see it,
No-one but me.
But outside my window
The snow gently falls,
And I think to myself,
Let’s deck the halls!
So, I gather the ribbon,
The garland and bows,
As I play those old carols,
My happiness grows.
Christmas ain’t cancelled
And neither is hope.
If we lean on each other,
I know we can cope.
Great work RobT!

Does anybody know if there are any Christmas Markets going ahead this year ?
There doesn't seem to be any up to date info !

"The market, which attracts around five million visitors a year, marks the start of the festive season when it opens in November. This will be the first time since 2001 it has not taken place."

Finally got around to putting up some Christmas lights today, we are not the coloured light type pretty conservative really ai would show you but the file is too big??

"The market, which attracts around five million visitors a year, marks the start of the festive season when it opens in November. This will be the first time since 2001 it has not taken place."
I looked up there are about 8 still going ahead, none near us, York and Manchester are supposed to be happening and a Welsh one.

For the Christmas Season of Goodwill & Giving!

I asked one of my friends who has crossed 70 & is heading to 80 what sort of changes he is feeling in himself?
He sent me the following very interesting lines, which I would like to share with you ....

#1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children, my friends, now I have started loving myself.

#2 I just realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.

#3 I now stopped bargaining with vegetables & fruits vendors. A few pennies more is not going to burn a hole in my pocket but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.

#4 I pay my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than me

#5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down the memory lane & relive the past.

#6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.

#7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You"

#8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.

#9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.

#10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.

#11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.

#12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships I will never be alone.

#13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.

#14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!

I decided to send this to all my friends. Why do we have to wait to be 70 or 80, why can't we practice this at any stage and age....

I stole this, I don't know who to credit it to, but thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back