• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with all this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't Dad who had encouraged the invitation to Bob. At the very least he would never have raised any objection. And Bob has played his part, being courteous, agreeable, grateful and also generous by bringing such treasures as tinned fruit for the family and tubes of sweets - Tootsie Froots, I think they're called – for me. And Wrigleys, of which I have a supply without having to go up to an American soldier in the street - as my friends do - and say "Got any gum, chum?" I get almost as much pleasure from looking at the the colourful Tootsie wrappers as I do from munching the candy - as Bob calls it.

I look across the table at Bob. He sits there, smiling and appreciative, whatever he is thinking at that moment about Brussels sprouts. As ever I admire his uniform. It's a sort of brown and the cloth looks lovely and smooth. It's so, so different from the scratchy khaki material which I know my brother is wearing at this moment, or Dad's Home Guard uniform which was put away for the last time three weeks ago. Bob looks so smart. Like an officer. But I don't think he is one. And of course he is eating as usual in a way which fascinates me. After he has taken his plate off Dad and put his veg. on, he cuts up all his meat into smaller pieces, lays his knife on the far edge of the plate, moves his fork to his right hand and eats the whole meal with that alone. I'm dying to try that for myself. But I'm always told that while it's OK for an American to do it, it's not OK for me. So of course I don't. But one of these days, when there's no one else in the room...... And of course, if my great-grandfather had not decided to come home in 1859, I might have been eating like that all my life, and never known the difference.

I don't know a lot about Bob. He's probably about twenty. He lives at an American base at Pheasey which isn't very far away. He was injured in Normandy during the summer and was sent here to recover. He looks OK to me. He comes from a place in America called the Midwest. He's not allowed to write home to tell his mum and dad any details about his injury and so my own dad has written to them on his behalf. I expect they will be very happy to hear that their son is OK. It will take ages for Dad's letter to get there and even longer to see a reply, if we get one. Bob is such a nice and gentle lad, or so my father says. Dad is a veteran of the last war and still has the scar of his own injury. So he knows a bit about fighting. He always jokes that he cannot see Bob rushing towards the German lines, weapon raised and with murder in his eyes - he's just too nice a bloke. But Bob probably had to do it, even so. And now, after all that, he's here, with us, laughing and joking and joining in the fun.

The meal is cleared away and the Christmas pudding is brought in. I'm told that in peace time people pour brandy over this and set it on fire. This seems a strange thing to do but I'll believe it - half the things that people are supposed to do seem very peculiar to me. No question of that now of course. Dad certainly wouldn't waste precious booze in that way. You just can't get it, even if you can afford it. But whether it's on fire or not I don't have any Christmas pudding. Don't like it. I help Mum to make it and the Christmas cake and am allowed to lick the spoon. But whilst I like the cake, I hate the pudding. Sheila tells me that's daft. It's all the same stuff, she says. But I think it's different. And so I have a mince pie instead. Home made as well. I love them. Bob manfully devours the pudding and says he likes it. He's a very polite man.

The meal is coming to an end. I look over at Bob. Here he is miles away from his home and family, making the very best of things at a time when he is no doubt thinking of everybody back there. And he's sitting exactly where my brother normally sits and HE is miles away from home and family as well. And making the best of things, just like Bob and millions of other men and their families who are separated. All this is quite normal to me. I can hardly remember anything different. But for grown-ups it's probably been a rotten year for everyone and that followed a rotten year the previous year and it was a rotten year the year before that. Here at least we don't have to worry about the bombing any more but all the poor people in London now have the doodlebugs to worry about. It must seem to them that it'll never end.

Perhaps at some time in this coming year, 1945, all those millions of men and women, including Bob and Graham, and Mr. B. from next door at no. 103, and Mr. W. over the road and Mr. P. at no. 89 will be able to sit once again at their own table amongst those most dear to them. And all the world will slowly, ever so slowly, get back to normal. (Whatever normal is – I certainly don't know what that will be). But not just yet .....and goodness knows how long it still will be.

Postscript
A few weeks later Bob came to say his farewells. He was being moved somewhere else and couldn't tell us where. I saw his last goodbye to my sister. He offered to her, as a memento, his US Infantry metal insignia, a long rifle on a blue background. In fact, he offered her alternatives. His old, scruffy, everyday one which had probably gone with him through thick and thin. And a brand-new one still in its cellophane wrapper. I was shocked to see my sister choose the better one. The polite thing to have done, I thought, was to have taken the not-so-good one. But who knows, perhaps that is the one which Bob really wanted to keep so that, decades later, he could show it to his grandchildren and bore them stiff as he told them, yet again, of his time in Europe.

Insignia2.jpg

After Bob's disappearance there finally came a letter from his parents, expressing their gratitude to my own mum and dad and enclosing a brightly coloured leaflet showing the town where Bob had been born and grew up. The school which he went to, the church where he worshipped, the public park where he played.

I don't know if Bob was sent back to France but he certainly survived the war. (As did my brother, who had his first Christmas with us again two years later, in 1946). Bob wrote to my parents when he was back home and in his last letter told them that, since he knew he couldn't marry Sheila he thought he had better find somebody else and was now about to get married. My parents took this as a joke. I've always wondered, though, whether there was a germ of truth in it. I never knew his surname, I didn't take note of his hometown and so I have never known how he spent his life. I hope he had a long and happy one. And that he always remembered the happy Christmas Day he spent with us, long ago, and the inquisitive little boy he had to put up with as the price of a day away from camp, a glimpse of family life in the midst of war and the company of a pretty young girl.

SA.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Fantastic stories, Chris, as always. Building railways in Florida sounds like an interesting research project, but maybe not too much in the way of relics or memorablia now.

Maurice :cool:

Dad thinks a lot of America and the Americans. I think it's in his blood. I know that his own grandad, Henry, a bit under 100 years ago, set off from Birmingham to the Californian Gold Rush. He didn't make a fortune but he didn't starve either and in 1859 he came back home and lived for the rest of his life in Birmingham. I think he felt it was a good thing for a young man to have an adventure like that and he sent his own first son, my grandfather Charles, to do the same thing. Not this time to California, though, but to work on railroad building in Florida. I've never heard much about that and I expect I was too young for Grandpa to talk to me about it. My brother told me that Grandpa had told him a few things, including about the incredible birds and butterflies he had seen there and which he did paintings of, with all their beautiful colours. And another story which I heard, and made quite an impression on me, was the time when he and the rest of the building gang were working near to a pond and farmyard where there were a lot of ducks. When one of the group needed to do a No. 2, there was no paper available and the man made use of one of the available ducklings. I felt quite sorry for the poor little duckling and visualised all his friends avoiding him for ages afterwards. But that was a story which was probably better not thought about too much whilst tucking into a pile of roast chicken and veg. And certainly not mentioned at this moment. Grandpa's younger brother Maurice was also sent out, I think to New York. There he met with some dreadful accident, I think involving a firearm, and was blinded for the rest of his life. Like his brother he returned eventually to Birmingham and made a career for himself as a well-known stenographer, spending much time at the Blind Institute in Carpenter road, Edgbaston. Poor Uncle Maurice died in a motor car accident on Mucklow Hill whilst being taken on a fishing trip by friends. This was before I was born and so I never knew him. Dad inherited a few of his things - a set of Braille playing cards and also his fishing rod which I now have and use, when Dad will take me.

My dad told me that a sort of tradition - of "going to America to make a man out of you" - was starting in the family to do this type of thing. He himself might well have been the third generation to do it. But at the right time, as he told me, when he was an 18 or 19-year-old, he was "otherwise engaged" in the trenches of the Western Front. Dad did finally see America in 1935 and then again in 1938 when he had business trips there. I think the experience made a big impression on him, it was all so modern, the future in fact. He flew around in DC1 and DC2 airliners, he was driven along wide, straight fast roads at 100mph, all the stuff in the shops and people's houses seemed to be more modern than ours.... When I think about it, I realise that the faithful wireless in our dining room is American, a Zenith; and there's a big white American fridge in the kitchen, called a Zerozone which towers above my head. Dad still has a number of friends in America. At the beginning of the war, so he told me, one of them sent an invitation for my sister and me to be sent out there to avoid the bombing and other dangers. I think Mum and Dad thought about it carefully but they decided that the risks of travel were just too great and that we would sink or swim all together. If we had gone, I would have been writing this in an American home. But I'm not. I'm still here in Streetly and it isn't a bad place to be.

And just one other thing. Over the last couple of weeks Dad has been sitting at this very table, writing about his Home Guard service before he forgets all about it. He doesn't mention what I remember and that is standing on the terrace outside the window, watching him lining up dozens of empty glass bottles. I am four. What he is doing is preparing something called Molotov cocktails. These will eventually be filled with petrol and have a bit of rag stuffed in the top. These are to be taken to his Home Guard headquarters at Little Aston Hall where they will be available to use when German paratroopers start pouring out of Sutton Park where they have landed, or at a roadblock on the Chester Road as German armoured vehicles approach or from a defensive position on a bend in the main road near Little Aston Church. Dad and his comrades haven't got much else. What they do have, to be shared amongst 40 men, is five rifles. These have to be collected from Aldridge Police Station and taken back there, after use, to be locked up safely. Dad writes about these five rifles which is why I know about them. And then he goes on to say, about a day in June or July 1940: The rifles have arrived, one per man plus bayonets and 60 rounds per rifle. (God bless America!)

.....to be continued.....
My Grandfather left for America in the late 1800s with his brothers who stayed there, Grandfather did not like it there and went back to Smethwick worked at the Carriage works lived to be a 100 Very similar!!!

Postscript
A few weeks later Bob came to say his farewells. He was being moved somewhere else and couldn't tell us where. I saw his last goodbye to my sister. He offered to her, as a memento, his US Infantry metal insignia, a long rifle on a blue background. In fact, he offered her alternatives. His old, scruffy, everyday one which had probably gone with him through thick and thin. And a brand-new one still in its cellophane wrapper. I was shocked to see my sister choose the better one. The polite thing to have done, I thought, was to have taken the not-so-good one. But who knows, perhaps that is the one which Bob really wanted to keep so that, decades later, he could show it to his grandchildren and bore them stiff as he told them, yet again, of his time in Europe.

View attachment 151239

After Bob's disappearance there finally came a letter from his parents, expressing their gratitude to my own mum and dad and enclosing a brightly coloured leaflet showing the town where Bob had been born and grew up. The school which he went to, the church where he worshipped, the public park where he played.

I don't know if Bob was sent back to France but he certainly survived the war. (As did my brother, who had his first Christmas with us again two years later, in 1946). Bob wrote to my parents when he was back home and in his last letter told them that, since he knew he couldn't marry Sheila he thought he had better find somebody else and was now about to get married. My parents took this as a joke. I've always wondered, though, whether there was a germ of truth in it. I never knew his surname, I didn't take note of his hometown and so I have never known how he spent his life. I hope he had a long and happy one. And that he always remembered the happy Christmas Day he spent with us, long ago, and the inquisitive little boy he had to put up with as the price of a day away from camp, a glimpse of family life in the midst of war and the company of a pretty young girl.

View attachment 151238

Chris

Thank you for another wonderful chapter in your life Chris, you always have me laughing and crying all in one go! You have such a way with words. Amazing stories too about your Great Grandfather. A lovely belated Christmas present from you to us...thank you x :heart_eyes:

When I was in the UK, one of my cat's would happily eat curry providing that it wasn't really heavily spiced. The others wouldn't go near it. It takes all sorts (of cats) to make a world.

Maurice :cool:

Like the advert I heard on the radio on Christmas night which said "order now and delivery in time for Christmas". Either very slow for Christmas 2021 or express service. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back