• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christening look-up -- Martha Jane Harrison

Ann Steiner

master brummie
I wonder if someone could please check on a christening that Di told me about --

2nd January, 1873 for a Martha Jane Harrison?

If this is the correct name for that date, were the parents' names Edwin and Jane Harrison? Any other pertinent information provided as well?

Thank you.

Ann

The baptism is on IGI records and is extracted from the original so it is verified.
parents Edwin and Jane
1881 census
4 Rose Mount Aston
Edwin Harrison age 32 Electro plate engraver
Jane age 29
Martha J age 8
Ellen age 5
Minnie age 5 months

Martha Jane Harrison birth registered Sept qtr 1872 Birmingham

ref. 6d 71

hello ann

have seen the original and yes it is correct. they were in the workhouse and edwins occupation was japanner

On the 1871 census Edwin age 22 is with his widowed mother Martha age 61 and brother john age 19 at Bk 87 Gt.Colmore Street.
His occupation is given as Electro plate engraver unemployed which may have been why he ended up in the workhouse.

Alberta and Shera,

Thank you for looking through the records for me! I hadn't known about Edwin's mother Martha (or his brother). That gives me a little more to go on, and explains his and Jane's first daughter's name Martha Jane -- she was named after his mother and his wife.

If I understand the dating correctly Martha Jane's birth was registered the September quarter of 1872, and then she was christened 2 January of 1873?

Sad to learn he/they wound up in the workhouse.

If the birth christening was in St. Martin's, then it would be safe to say any marriage or other life events around that time frame would have taken place there as well? I'm still trying to find out a marriage date and more importantly, the maiden name of Edwin's wife, Jane. That has me stopped cold for now.

Thank you again!

Ann

Hi there,
In 1871 Edwin was living back of 87 Great Colmore Street with his mother Martha and brother John and he was unemployed.John was an electroplate chaser and embosser.
1861 England Census
Name: Edwin Harrison
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Martha
Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street Address: (Un-numbered court) Latimer Street South
Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St Thomas
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Household schedule number: 320
Household Members:
William Harrison 58 (cabinet maker),
Martha Harrison 52 (housekeeper),
Mary Harrison 30 (brass maker,I think!),
William Harrison 28 (no business),
Ellen Harrison 24 (silver polisher),
George Harrison 22 (lamp maker),
Joseph Harrison 19 (lamp maker),
Henry Harrison 14 (silver plate maker),
Edwin Harrison 12 ,
John Harrison 9 ,

In 1851 they were living at 1 Court Number 1 House,Pigott Street.(next to 27 and the first of 8 courts)
William (father) noted as being born Edgbaston,was a Cabinet maker, as was the son William.
George was a Painter's Boy!
In 1841 William and Martha were living in Bishopsgate Street,with Mary,William,Ellen and George.
Hope this may help you.

You're a peach, Ladylinda! With your help you took me back three decades with my Harrison branch, and I now have names for at least one set of my gr-gr-gr- grandparents. Thank you so much for taking the time to do those look-ups and for helping me along.

Family research is not only fascinating and fun, but also educational. I knew nothing about the workhouses prior to finding this part of the family, and as a result have visited some websites on the subject to learn more.

Thank you again.

Best,
Ann

Back