• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi everyone,
Bit of a surprise the other day, having received the wedding certificate for my father's eldest brother's (James Edward Smith), I found out that they married on my birthday (30th July) 1921 at Christ Church Sparkbrook.
To double the surprise I found out the curates name was 'T Pittaway', whilst a bit unusual, it is also the family name of the husband of one of my father's other brother's daughter.
Are there any other records which would give me more details of this curates first name, etc?
And then once again, discovered Christ Church Sparkbrook can join the realms of the 'bulldozered bits of Birmingham' I cannot visit! I understand this didn't happen till 2008 after the Tornado, is that correct?
Bob

The 1921 Kellys (probably compiled late 1920) lists curates as
Rev. John Henry Newby
Rev. Alfred Herman Jackson

Rev. E. A. Squire
Possibly the 1922 version might list the person you want, but unfortinately I don't have that one

Up date, I just found out today that the curate T Pittaway was actually Thomas Pittaway and he subsequently popped up in Frome in Somerset in 1939 at Rodden Church. The reason our now know this is that he officiated at my father's marriage to his first wife. He also produced a large number of books of poems including one called 'A Somerset Village, and other poems', according to the information I found this includes a Portrait. Has anyone ever heard of it or better still got a copy.
Fingers crossed
Bob

My grandparents were married there in 1899. I was lucky enough to visit before it was demolished but sadly couldn't go inside. I was also involved with a group who tried to stop the demolition sadly we failed!
Here is some info on another thread. https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10585&highlight=Christchurch

I have added two photo's the first is one I took in about 2005 the second is how it looked before the steeple was removed.

ChristChurchSparkbrook.jpg
Christ_Church_Sparkbrook_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Gee, according to Wikipedia Christ Church was on the corner of Grantham Road and Dolobran Road, was one of the oldest churches in the area, being consecrated in 1867. The spire belonging to the tower was removed in 1918, and following a bomb blast in World War II, the entire tower was demolished. Following damage caused by the Birmingham Tornado 28 July 2005 the whole church was demolished.
Bob

Thanks for this, Bob. The church looked familiar to me, but it's not the one I was thinking of.

I do remember the tornado though! It de-roofed Al Frash, our favourite restaurant (among loads of other buildings)!

Big Gee

Found the attached post card image and tried matching it to the Street view image, only the wall remains but the trees seem to have grown a bit.
Bob

I am grateful to Wendy for posting a the two pictures of Christchurch particularly how it originally looked when complete with spire.

I have relatives that were married in that Church in 1936 and was curious to see what it looked like. I looked a satellite picture of the area today and of course could find little trace of the building; just the school. Further research informed me of the unfortunate demolition following a tornado.

I did believe this Church to be described as being in Bordesley. I know Bordesley and Sparkbrook districts are adjacent but I would appreciate any clarification from someone who actually knows the area.

Thank goodness family history made me visit and took these pictures before it was demolished. My grandparents were married there....oh how I wish I had a photo of that day!

I was married to my first wife at Christ Church Sparkbrook on 16 June 1962 the vicar at that time was I think Jack Reeves or Reed no sure now.My brides name was Gwen Lock she lived at 3 Farm Rd.

Thank goodness family history made me visit and took these pictures before it was demolished. My grandparents were married there....oh how I wish I had a photo of that day!

Thank you so much for doing so ............. my Grandparents were also married there in 1893 and the attached photo is on part of their Marriage Certificate.
I have tried to locate the whereabouts of this Church and am extremely grateful to all for photos and history.

Sorry, I can't seem to get it any larger.

ChristChurch Sparkbrook.JPG

My grandparents were married there in 1899 the picture is lovely and comes up larger when you click on it.

Thank you for the lovely pictures of Christ Church on the corner of Dolobran Road and Grantham Road. My parents, Annie (known as Anne) Wesley and Frank Harris of 3 back-of-93,(also known as 3 Highland Place) Dolobran Road, were married there on 25th January 1941, also my grandparents, Frank Harris senior and Constance Elizabeth Chapman, of White Road (at their time of marriage) who married on December 25th 1913. It was a double wedding as Frank Harris (senior)'s sister Elsie married William Batty there on the same day. My two elder sisters and I were christened at the church and went to Sunday school there. My eldest sister was married there in 1962 and was very upset to discover only recently that it had been demolished due to the tornado. I visited the site about two years ago and there was a simple cross standing in a weed-filled field. My understanding then was that the site was about to be redeveloped as a local health centre.

I wondered where this church was, my Great grandparents got married there in 1898, wish I'd visited there befor it got demolished.

I lived at 95 Dolobran Road, and was christened at Christ Church, though I am sad to say I was not a regular attender. My sister Barbara was married there. Sad it has gone. Last remaining piece of what used to be a beautiful crossroads with the Church, Farm Park, and the memorial hall on three corners. I've been googling for pictures of the memorial hall without success, it doesn't even seem to be mentioned anywhere, and yet we used to go to some great 'garden parties' there. The boundary wall was in the same stone as Christ Church, and I always assumed the two were connected, but not sure how. The memorial hall was a lovely old building. Cannot understand why it was demolished.

These photo's were taken in 2003 not long before it was demolished. My grandparents were married here. Click on the photo's for a larger picture. If you scroll down this thread you will find more pictures of the church.

Sat_11th_Oct_03_018_Christ_Church_Sparkbrook_.jpg Sat_11th_Oct_03_017_Christ_Church_Sparkbrook_.jpg View attachment 90227

Yes it was a beautiful church, my cousin got married there in the 60s, I too was sad when I heard it was gone it had such a lovely atmosphere, not too large, not too small.

Chris

I also attended Christchurch school on the Stratford Road, around 1941. Opposite Farm Road & Smiths coaches. A very Dickension school. I recall the main hall, which was quite small, and there would be a fire lit in the hall fire place. The main entrance was just to the right of the photograph shown, although there was a back entrance at the next road up on the right (cannot remember the name of the road). I attended this school after we had been bombed out from our home in Tyseley, and for a time we lived with my aunt in Main Street. Many of the pupils graduated to Stratford Road School. Conway Road was just a girls school. As a child I thought it was like the school that Oliver Twist attended! I have to say that, internally, it looked more like a workhouse.

I was an apprentice decorator, and this was the school of art and decorating in the early 1970's. I remember the place really well, the main hall, and a playground on the roof, with hairpin iron railings. There was indeed two entrances, one on Stratford Road, to the right of the photo, and a drive way off Farm St.

The building have been demolished now, and a small housing development resides on the site.

Hi Mort
Funny enough my first job was an apprentice painter and decorated it was with the Birmingham city council and the offices at the time was in great Charles street on the tenth floor and they had me go to the Stratford red school for enrolment they played the fees for me
And at the start of the term I had to attend one day week and one night week schooling and buy my own books and materials for the schooling
I got six pounds week for wages and of course my bus fare from Ladywood going to Stratford red and pay my other house keeping
I only had pennies left we used to go around in. IG gangs and paint the schools of brum I did that for five years stint
After a couple of years down the line I finished and started to do some small jobs for people
My younger brother Roy was working at bulpitts in Camden street at spring hill as a polisher he did work at savekers in Phillips street Aston
But any way there wasa lady working at bulpitts as a supervised in the inspection department and one day she asked him do you know anybody whom can decorate
He said yes my older brother and she asked me to come around and give her a quote along with my huge books of wall papers to choose from
Which I got from dulux factory in George street west at spring hill but cutting short on this story I got the job of reducing her flat in ledsam street
Ladywood it was a complete flat of bath room and living room and the hall way and all the ceiling through out it paid me well
But on the final finish the neibours and friends of her with in that block asked me to there there was five complete flats to become on my own
And after all that lot the orininale lady asked to go down Stratford red to her brothers. House next to the bear pub
He was a very old man and disabled and he said he was an old retired decorated I gave in the quote and is attituned was very borough
And snapped no son he said you have only been in the game five minutes I have been decorating all my life I will not pay that price and believe
I do not think in those days no painter and deco would ever compete with. My prices as I used to cross check the competitive prices
When I went back to see this lady I told her of is manner to me and she opologised to me for is manner but I did well after that
And my two brothers worked at henry corvette on new town row all those years ago so with my trade prices of purchase and our kids discount I made a big profit
I still keep my hand in from time to time area years back from now oppersite the old job. Entre on bristol red south Northfield
There used to be a well known estate agents whom I worked for and above that shop I painted the exterior wall in a blue colour it was there for years
And every time I went pass that shop I would look up and smile it never raised at all for donkeys years and I would say to ever was me in the car
That my art my work and glee with smile
Have a nice day Mort by the way we ever did bet to that walk sdid we well summer days are coming keep a date clear in your diary
Have a nice day best wishes astonian,,, Alan,,,,

Hi Alan

Great to hear form you. So you must have worked for the Education Department, they used to paint all the schools. I did know a couple of guy who worked for them, Martin Farrier and someone called Garretty, I think. The Council use to train a lot of apprentices in those days, its a shame they don't now, as there is a skill shortage.

I used to do the odd wallpapering job after work too.

Keep in touch, and we must do a walk along the Droitwich cut one of the day, Ill keep the diary free for you, drop me an email.

There is a William Griffiths listed on the 1950 electoral roll at 123 Sandy Lane along with Frederick, May and Ronald. I can't look any further online.

Janice

Quite correct, sited on the corner of Dolobran Road and Grantham Road. However, as a child, I often played in Farm Park (opposite the church), and the steeple was still attached to the tower at the beginning of 1939. The steeple part of the tower suffered bomb damage in WW2 NOT WW!. I quite clearly recall the church with both a steeple and minus the steeple. The tower remained attached to the church well after WW".

I lived at 95 Dolobran Road, and was christened at Christ Church, though I am sad to say I was not a regular attender. My sister Barbara was married there. Sad it has gone. Last remaining piece of what used to be a beautiful crossroads with the Church, Farm Park, and the memorial hall on three corners. I've been googling for pictures of the memorial hall without success, it doesn't even seem to be mentioned anywhere, and yet we used to go to some great 'garden parties' there. The boundary wall was in the same stone as Christ Church, and I always assumed the two were connected, but not sure how. The memorial hall was a lovely old building. Cannot understand why it was demolished.

During WW2 I often visited the large house in the grounds opposite Christ Church. You call it the Memorial Hall. It was the home of the Lilley family. Young David Lilley and I went to the same school. After WW2 it was used as a youth club, and in the late forties, I again visited the house as a member of the 14+ youth group. Also, during WW2 the other corner, (Farm Road/Grantham Road), was the site of a fire auxiliary unit. They were pretty busy in those dark days.

Thank you Norfolk brummie, for the information on the 'memorial hall'. May I ask what you know about the Lilley family. I think they must have gone by my time, mainly the 50's and early 60's. That they occupied such a splendid building suggests they must of been of 'some consequence' as they used to say. Would be interested in knowing more. (Where did you go to school together?) Any idea what happened to them?

I have no idea what David Lilley's father did, except that they were a very ordinary family. I assume that he may have been a caretaker or something similar. David was one of four sons. The lads were a very boisterous bunch. I believe he was the middle son. He was aged around 11 when I first knew him. This would be around 1944. We both went to Golden Hillock Road School. Quite a journey for David. I seem to recall that his brothers also attended the same school. He was a very popular lad, and a good sportsman. When we were both 14 we joined the 14 Plus club at his own home; the Memorial Hall. We both went on to be members of Conway Youth Club, where we both played for the Youth Club cricket team. I lost track of David after I was called up for National Service. I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Back