• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christ Church School Sparkbrook

JoanH

knowlegable brummie
I wonder if there are any Birmingham people who would remeber the Infant and Junior school facing Farm Road Sparkbrook Birmingham. I was a pupil there about 1941 and wondered if it was possible to aquire records of the pupils who attended. A Uncle of mine who was 6 yrs my senior was at that school when I started and I would love to find him, even a record od his attendance would be gratefully received. If anyone out there can help me I would beso grateful:) Hopefully JoanH

Joan

I know the school well, a lot of my family attended there, some of them in the same age group as your uncle. The school has been closed since the early seventies at least.

I think the only way forward for you to obtain any records of your uncle, is from Birmingham Council Education Department, but I think they would be unable to release them to you if they have any.

If you are just searching for your uncle, what is his name? Although most of my relations are no longer with us, I might know someone who remembers him if I make enquiries. Added to that there is the chance someone else reading this might have some information.

Phil

SparkbrookStratfordRdChristChurchSchool1949-1.jpg

:)Hi Phil, thanks for such a prompt reply, just sorry I couldnt get the comp to work to reply to you.
My first Uncle was Rponald Griffiths born Dec. 1928 then William Griffiths 1930 was in the Junior school at Christchurch when I started in the infants. At that time they were living at 123 Sandy Lane off Camp Hill. needless to say that has also gone now. On my last visit to Brum was so short I was unable to get to the Central Library to check Electorial Rolls etc. Also, though I dont expect bneing an ex brummie my opinion counts I think that all the historial parts of Brum have been demolished. Why tear down The Ship on Camp Hill. that pub was there before 1650 also Highgate House which also was of Historical Interest from the days of the Civil War.:( of the point havent I, this seems to happen when I suddenly find I may be getting an answer to my queries. I have no Idea which school William attended when he left Christchurch, it could have been Stratford Road or Conway Road.:redface: Do you not think the the Education Department would have kept records, surley they would be classed as invaluable, at least to me and surely Im not the only one chasing dardk allies.
I am most grateful to you for the help and perhaps it may be easier to e.mail me should you find anything else of interest. [email protected].
Many many thanks JoanH:D

Hi JoanH,

A couple of weeks ago, I went in to the Birmingham Library Archives to apply for the school records of my father who died in 1958. Although there is a 100 yr closure period, in certain circumstances you could be lucky and they MAY release them.

You need to fill in a form with all the relevant details. School name is most important, then they will forward it on to the appropriate department.... Then you wait :rolleyes:

Kind regards....Florence :)

As requested by Morturn the only couple of photos of Christ Church J & I School, Sparkbrook that I have that I can show him. The one shows the frontage of the school on Stratford Rd taken in 1949 the school took up the corner of the Stratford Rd - Long Street Junction except for the corner position itself which was occupied by the Victoria public house, which has now been converted to a police station while the school has been replaced by housing.

The second photo shows some of the pupils attending a bonfire, it doesn't state the reason for the bonfire, it might have been November the 5th or VE day it's hard to tell. The only thing for sure is that the HSE hadn't been empowered then.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Christ Church School 1949.jpg
    Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Christ Church School 1949.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Sparkbrook Christchurch School.jpg
    Sparkbrook Christchurch School.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 91
As requested by Morturn the only couple of photos of Christ Church J & I School, Sparkbrook that I have that I can show him. The one shows the frontage of the school on Stratford Rd taken in 1949 the school took up the corner of the Stratford Rd - Long Street Junction except for the corner position itself which was occupied by the Victoria public house, which has now been converted to a police station while the school has been replaced by housing.

The second photo shows some of the pupils attending a bonfire, it doesn't state the reason for the bonfire, it might have been November the 5th or VE day it's hard to tell. The only thing for sure is that the HSE hadn't been empowered then.

Phil

Thank you for posting the pictures of Christchurch school; I attended this place in 1972 when I was an apprentice painter and decorator.

It was an annex to Birmingham Poly, when the Poly was based at Gosta Green, and had been converted from school use to the ‘School of Art’. As first year apprentices we were here on block release for a total of eight weeks days, and one night a week for the rest of the year.

I quite enjoyed going there.

It was an interesting building, built on a small footprint of land, and had a balcony open to the elements for the first floor class rooms and a playground on the roof.

There were other schools with rooftop playgrounds in Birmingham, but cannot remember the locations now.

With reference to thread concerning School Badges. I am compiling a list of obsolete Birmingham schools (schools no longer in existance). Please add the name of any school that fits the criteria. Here are some to start the list. Mabz

Rea Street Junior/Infant
Bloomsbury School
Farm Street Junior/Infant
Harry Lucas Secondary School
Gower Street
Lozells Girls School
Archbishop Masterson
Summer Lane
Burlington Street

Forgive me for any errors- not familiar with 'threads' and 'forums' or this sort of site. My father and his sister attended Christchurch C of E in Sparkbrook in the 1920's- you may wish to add it to you list. (book was found in father's possesions)
School was replaced in 1970's with a new building I understand.View attachment 97668

Attachments

• 101_0681.jpg
    101_0681.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 10
i myself attended Christ church school Sparkbrook mid 40s Mr Bayliss was nick named bummy Bayliss my brother was caned twice for the same act my mother came up and her actions pleased all the pupils, I went on to Oakley although i done well in my 11 plus and my brother passed for king Edwards we had no money for uniforms, end of story Killer Evans said i would never make anything of myself, i made manager material at land rover started a company with a partner i schooled into my sixties and i loved learning. The reason i state this is because never allow negative forces stop you, i had a poor up bringing people wiped their feet coming out of our house, honestly you can do it to if you want enough. I lost friends on the way but i still call them my friends. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL SMUDGE

Back