• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christchurch Passage

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Christ Church Passage  0001.jpg This little Passage ran from Waterloo Street, where it jiggles off Colmore Row, almost directly opposite to the Council House, through to New Street. The buildings to the right were knocked down, so there is no longer a passage. The steps are there, much steeper, and the hand rails in my picture were run along side them.

Last edited:
That is beautiful Di. do you do this for your own relaxation or are you a professional artist? :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Just as I remember it Di. A friend of mine here in Canada has an ink sketch of
the Passage. Nice work.

Di, do you only paint in water colours ? I only use oil paints and have never tried water colours.
Must try them one day. Love your paintings, start a gallery.

Di great stuff reminded me of the times I would take my Ronson lighter in the Ronson shop for a overhaul and it was no charge in those days, however old it was :)

I'll vote for a Art Gallery O0

The Passage way reminds me of Paris although they have more steps ;D

What a wonderful idea Alf, a Di Art Gallery O0

We would not have to search other threads then to find past posting of your work Di. :)

Glad you enjoyed my watercolour.

That's right Alfie, right near Gallaghers where you took your Ronson.

Cromwell, I only paint in watercolour, I've never tried oils. Can we see some of your work please.

Sakura, painting is the best way I know to relax. It's a hobby for me.

I took some photos of Christchurch Passage, while it was empty.

Here is the road sign I took in 2009

Christchurch Passage - road sign - Victoria Square by ell brown, on Flickr

and the steps going up in down in 2011

Christchurch Passage, Birmingham - steps down by ell brown, on Flickr

Christchurch Passage, Birmingham - steps up by ell brown, on Flickr

Christchurch Passage, Birmingham - steps up by ell brown, on Flickr

How old is this fence / hand rail?

Christchurch Passage, Birmingham - cast iron fence by ell brown, on Flickr

Used to be shops down here between the '70s and early '90s (?)

Christchurch Passage, Birmingham - door below and cast iron fence above by ell brown, on Flickr

Nothing much to do so I thought I'd browse through some old stuff.

The photo of the fence is exactly like the one I painted which was the original one, Ellbrown.

Which photo?

You might need to reattach your painting on here (maybe edit the post from above from almost 10 years ago).

I painted the second of your photo's, steps going down with the lovely old handrail.

I have just tried to upload some of my paintings. It all went well until I reviewed my posts and nothing has uploaded, help............. please!!

Oops, it seems to have uploaded now.

Last edited:
In answer to ellbrown's question concerning the fencing and handrail to the current steps in Christchurch Passage. The fence would date from the early 70's when Galloways corner was demolished and although the balustrade on the stairs look like and most likely are the original ones the handrail has been renewed, compare them to these photos.

Attachments

• City Christchurch Pass[1].jpg
    City Christchurch Pass[1].jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 60
  • City Christchurch Passage.JPG
    City Christchurch Passage.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 54
  • City New St Christchurch passage.JPG
    City New St Christchurch passage.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 59
Di you attached your painting to your original post from 10 years ago at the top! Although it looks more like one of the old photos in Phil's post above, than one of my old photos from the early 2010's.

I think that Christchurch Passage was one of the many gems that was lost in the development of the city. Would often cut down there for the pleasure of pausing to look in Greaves Gallery, the present passage way is so sterile. Particularly like Phil's picture labelled New St and of course the painting at the top of the thread.

Echoing DevonJim's post, it was a crime and no mistake to obliterate Galloway's Corner. So rich in architecture, yet made so individual by the shop-owners particularly on the Christchurch Passage side. I would hasten to say very French in aspect, yet very British in their charm. I think Di.Poppitt's paintings magnificently bring this quality to the fore.

Yes ellbrown, sorry I meant the look of the stairs in your photo and the
position of them. My watercolour was done from the old photo in Phil's
post.:)

Back