• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christ Church Summerfield

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
British Hustory Online tells us:

CHRIST CHURCH, Summerfield (Summerfield Cres. and Gillot Rd.), was built as a memorial to George Lea, Perpetual Curate of St. George's, Edgbaston, 1864-83. It is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with apsidal chancel, nave, aisles and transepts, designed by J. A. Chatwin. It was consecrated in 1885, a parish being assigned from St. John's, Ladywood, in the same year. Part of the parish was transferred to St. Augustine's, Edgbaston, in 1906. (fn. 66) The living, a vicarage since 1885, was in the gift of the Vicar of St. John's, Ladywood, for the first turn, and then of the bishop until 1905, when the Rector of Birmingham became patron. (fn. 67) The City Road mission room, opened in 1896, was transferred to the parish of St. Augustine, Edgbaston, in 1906. Old School Hall, Coplow Street, has been licensed for public worship since 1908, and Cavendish Road Hall since 1914. (fn.

The exterior and interior of the church. Viv.
A961605F-B33A-420B-B57E-3A76C5AAC982.jpegCAAA8AE6-8D62-45F0-8B13-D820165A7BA6.jpeg

I have Bob, it’s British History Online as I said at the start of the post. Is that unclear ? That’s what I normally do if I quote from British History Online. If you can suggest how to improve the reference please let me know. Thanks. Viv.

Last edited:
Back