• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christ Church Perry Barr

That 1939 piece saying the corporation had acquired the church for road widening surprised me, I recall the place being there as shown in the other photos right up to at least the fifties and I bought timber from there when it was Ansell's Timber for my first house which I bought in 1956.
They must have dragged their feet with that scheme. :)

Strangely British History Online only lists it as a mission under St John the Evangelist Church (Perry Village). It isn’t listed in its own right. British History Online says: The following missions were licensed for public worship: Christ Church, Perry Barr, 1866-1926, erected 1862, enlarged 1877. Presumably 1926 is the year it closed as a mission church, thereafter becoming different non-religious concerns. Viv.

This comes from 1949, three years after Ansells took over as timber merchant. Before that it was a furniture depository, and further back children played in the empty building.

The Christ Church Hall was used by St Johns in 1935 for a concert given to the elderly, so it may be that it was not used for religious services from 1926 but Hall still utilised. The War would the throw things up in the air.
6937F6DD-E50C-476D-8E8B-1863FBA44A73.jpeg

In this postcard view of the London & North Western Perry Barr railway station, the spire of Christ Church shows above the trees. This particular area has changed many times over the years and is presently changing again.
View attachment 152631

if only it looked like that now..great photo

That's how I remember Perry Bar station, we used to go to Stratford on Avon from there. :)
The one journey I made from Perry Barr station was to Hednesford. It was with our scout troop for a week's camping at Beaudesert on Cannock Chase. We took a hand cart with us to carry our kit on the long walk from Hednesford to the campsite. We had pushed the cart along the Aldridge Road to Perry Barr and had to dismantle it so we could carry it down the stairs at the station and load it on the train ... happy days ... :)

Back