• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Christ Church New Street

This painting (artist unknown) portrays the interior of Christ Church as fairly spartan. The pews and decor seem particularly simple. Yet there are numerous lights all around the church. Are there 3 levels to the lectern ? Overall it shows a very different interior to how I would have imagined it- more like a chapel. Viv.

View attachment 180800
The different levels were for the rich and poor - class separation. Then later by men and women

Re: Christchurch

Demolition of Christ Church New Street.
Demolition_of_Christchuch_Birmingham_2.jpg

A slightly clearer picture with a date…”The demolition of Christ Church started January 1899: the last few loads”

IMG_2804.jpeg

Nice to see a view , albeit an engraving - showing people making their way into the church in a very orderly fashion. This looks like a line of young ladies. I wondered if the ladies were supposed to represent those from Ann Street School ? Viv.
Screenshot_20230824_180549_Chrome.jpg

Back