• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christ Church Catacombs New Street removal of bodies 1890s

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This list may be of interest to anyone searching for records of family buried at Christ Church, New Street. This list was posted in the Birmingham Daily Post 2 years before the church was demolished in 1899. It contains full names and the original date of interment. Viv.

496ECED7-2952-459A-A561-66621F6F5136.jpeg

E3D25043-C037-4441-84E2-13E518B2E097.jpeg

7B7C1FE9-3704-4715-BFB0-8186D250D9C9.jpeg

Hi Viv,

Very interesting to see the above list. Surprisingly, John Baskerville does not appear on it.
Wendy(Guest)'s post 11 to the John Baskerville thread on 20 November 2010 refers to a microfiche
on the opening of his lead coffin on 12 April 1893 to establish the identity of the occupant of the vault.
Those present were listed, and also a specific mention that the vicar, (Charles Byron Wilcox), made an
entry in the register.

I wonder why his name is not included.

Kind regards
Dave

After his remains were removed from Easy Hill (I think in 1829 - 50+ years after his death) there’s no confirmed records of what happened to him. Being a non-religious person I doubt he wanted to end up in a vault in Christ Church, but at some point that’s what eventually happened. Here’s the record from the Iron Room Archives. According to this, the catacomb containing Baskerville was unregistered but a record was made at a later time of the opening of the cask at Christ Church. He was finally put to rest at Warstone Lane Cemetery, on 24thFebruary 1898 where he remains today.

So in theory he should have been on the list, but his body doesn’t officially appear to have been received into the church. Maybe that plus him being a non-believer is why it was never recorded ? Viv.4D3BE95D-60C0-4DFE-8490-0029EFF84C76.jpeg

Hi Viv,

Many thanks, that's a marvellous document, and confirms a lot. I wonder if the data storage
of today will survive another 120 years!

Whilst not having any desire to have lived through those times, I wish Christ Church had
been preserved and I had the chance to see it, as it appears to have been a beautiful
building.

Kind regards
Dave

Back