• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chris Upton's Magical Literary Bus !

smtr

master brummie
Hi all

My daughter has asked me to post the following.

"Tickets are now on sale for Chris Upton's Magical Literary Bus on Saturday 23rd July! Travel around Birmingham and discover the city's amazing literary links with a live commentary from local historian, Dr Chris Upton...there might even be a few surprises along the way! Tickets £15 (includes a slice of cake and tea/coffee at Blakesley Hall) 11.00-4.30pm. Departure point for bus is outside Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. Pre-booking essential. Call 0121 464 2193 to book tickets.

Normally, entry to Community Museum sites cost £4 each! "

Last edited:
Hi Lyn

This is well worth going on. Along the route, various characters from literature get on the bus:) I know it was a sell-out last year:)

Suzanne

I notice Chris Upton has a 4 page article in the June edition of "Family History" about back to back houses. Hadn't realised until reading this article that back to backs were not developed everywhere - none in Scotland and few south of a line from Essex to Bristol. Article gives some good descriptions of this type of housing for thise who are unfamiliar with them. And Court 15, Inge Street in Birmingham is the last surviving example - article includes a photo. The article also advertises Chris Upton's book: Living Back to Back. Viv.

Hi all

Just bringing this back up to the top in case others haven't seen it:)

I think Gollum is late for the bus:)

Suzanne

Hope you folks don't mind that I nudge this up once in a while:) It's just so that any new people to the site get to hear about this event. Thanks, Suzanne

Chris Upton and 'Barbara Cartland', (sorry, don't know the pooch's name:) )

That's a great picture Suzanne. Chris is a lovely chap the last time I spoke to him was at my cousins funeral in March.

I do hope I can go on one of his bus trips!

Thanks Wendy. He is indeed a lovely chap:)

Hope you can make one of his trips also. Last year was a great success and hopefully this year will be also:)

Suzanne

I have just booked tickets for Michael and myself so looking forward to it!

Gosh Wendy, that was fast:) I'm sure you and Michael will have a fabulous day, with plenty of laughs along the way:)

Suzanne

Hope you folks don't mind that I nudge this up again:) It's just so that any new people to the site get to hear about this event. Thanks, Suzanne

Here's "Sherlock" - as usual he's on the case (and the bus:)).

Quick update folks. Tickets are selling fast:) There's approximately 12 left.

Suzanne

Bus_Trip_026_edited.jpg
Bus_Trip_015_edit.jpg
We had a lovely day on the bus today just what I needed. Here are a few pictures;

First is Samuel Johnson and Rip Van Winkle having a fight in the grounds of Soho House.

Then visitors on the trip....lol any suggestions?

Finishing at Blakesley Hall.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi wend..glad you all had a good time on the bus...just the tonic you needed and thanks for the pics:)

lyn

It was lovely and a nice crowd who all had a laugh...guess who the lady in pink is at Aston Hall.:)

Hi all

[h=2]Chris Upton's Magical History Bus ![/h]
Tickets are now on sale for Chris Upton's Magical History Bus on Saturday 22nd September 2012! this is a "revamped" version of last year's Literary Bus. Travel around Birmingham and discover the city's amazing historical links with a live commentary from local historian, Dr Chris Upton...there will certainly be a few surprises along the way and new characters to meet! Tickets £15 (includes a slice of cake and tea/coffee at Blakesley Hall) and free entry into Aston Hall and Blakesley Hall, 11.00-4.30pm. Departure point for bus is outside Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery on Great Charles Street. Pre-booking essential and tickets are selling fast. Apologies for late notice. Call 0121 464 2193 to book tickets.

Normally, entry to Community Museum sites cost £4 each!

Suzanne

Back