• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Choir at church in edgbaston

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This photo is on the front of one of the latest maps from Alan Godfrey (Edgbaston 1914). Alan has sent me a scan of the original to see if we can identify any of the people.

choir in edgbaston church.jpg

mike lets hope some faces are recognised...dont surpose we know the name of the church?

lyn

Mike

I have tried to match that portico with the still existing churches in Edgbaston without any luck, the problem being that some have been demolished since the photo was taken the other being Edgbaston was much bigger then.

I wonder if this is two church choirs? There are two distinctive banners, one suggests (on the right) St. Augustine - he has a book - the other banner might be from the now converted into apartments former St. James. The architecture does look a bit like St. James, despite any alterations made in the past.
But if it is one choir then my vote would go to St. James.

I think you could be right Lyn, the two small buttresses either side of the arch do look as though it might be the place. I looked at St. Georges, obviously not deep enough. ;)

also alan the church is large enough to hold a fairly large choir..tried to post a street view but there was a problem

lyn

Mmmm yes. I was also bothered as it almost looks like an archway with "trees" visible where the door should be. I wasn't sure if this was just due to the age of the photo or not.

I did suggest St. James in my post 5, purely on the fabric of the church. Whilst I love trees they are a hindrance sometimes when looking at street level.

Back