• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chocolate Concrete

Glad I'm not the only one who had it with peppermint custard and Colin, that's the recipe mom has, she was a dreaded school dinner lady - sorry meals supervisor lol - but mom always makes it better than I do.
The peppermint custard is easy, add green colouring and peppermint essence, or blue colouring if you are using ready-made custard, as using green on ready made custard gives an interesting lime colour - refferred to by my girls as puke custard!!!
The girls at work say for pink custard they add red colouring and strawberry or raspberry essence, but I haven't tried this myself.
Eves pudding was another fave at school, my daughter makes a fantastic one now1
Sue
I was unable to get pink custard here in Australia so I bought a bottle of strawberry milk and used it with a couple of tablespoons of cornflour and sugar to make pink custard, it was delicious and as near to the pink custard.
Wendy

Last edited:
I remember it being served with pink custard, too, and that custard had a taste all of its own. My sister and I often reminisce and wish we could get the recipes. Well now we've got the recipe for the choc concrete, does anyone know how to make the pink custard?!
I have made it with strawberry milk , cornflour and sugar tastes pretty good.

Concrete and custard - whether yellow or pink - whilst delicious and enjoyed by most, was responsible for many a soiled item of clothing and a messy table. :laughing:

Do you remember when to keep DADS dinner hot you put a saucepan of water on the stove and put his dinner plate on it and a plate on the top to keep it hot:laughing:

My mum kept my dads dinner warm like that, we had already eaten ours. We would sit and talk to dad when he got home and was eating his tea and he often asked would you like some? We would go and get a sandwich plate and he would share his meal and I dont know why but it always tasted better than ours which was daft as we had the same meal haha :laughing:
Happy times.

Back