• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chocolate Concrete

omg i thought i was the only one who had mint custard with mine, yes it was yummy. I have tried to make the custard but no success as yet :( What i remember also is a kind of pastry coated with jam and topped with cornflakes yummy too ;))

The last time I saw chocolate concrete was at RAF Cosford, Airmens Messhall in the 1960s. I was an Air Cadet from Shrewbury attending the gliding school at the weekends. On the way out there was always a tray of " biscuit " type chunks for hungry airmen to take and keep hunger pains away until the next meal. You could put it in your pocket without fear of it becoming a mess of crumbs,fluff and things young lads carry in their pockets which are better not thought of. A bit like the old Navy ships biscuit updated. On a cold winters afternoon,with a freezing wind blowing down the runway it tasted great with a mug of hot sweet tea made the way only service cooks can do it.Happy Days.

omg i thought i was the only one who had mint custard with mine, yes it was yummy. I have tried to make the custard but no success as yet :( What i remember also is a kind of pastry coated with jam and topped with cornflakes yummy too ;))

I remember the Cornflake pudding from my senior school nowhere near as nice as the Concrete though!
I actually liked the plain concrete best as I'm not fond of the taste of chocolate.

Is concrete a Midland thing - I have never come across anyone from another part of the country who knows what it is?

I'm not sure if the concrete is just a Midland thing, but I think the peppermint custard is

O my goodness do I remember? I went on to be a teacher and had years of it then too!! Lovely stuff. I'm going to make some now!! Thanks!!!

Remember the plain concrete and, I think we also had fruit concrete at school. Bent many spoons on the stuff. The process of eating it was tricky, it quite often ended up on the floor - well you'd dust it off and pop it back on the plate! Yum........ Vv.

Glad I'm not the only one who had it with peppermint custard and Colin, that's the recipe mom has, she was a dreaded school dinner lady - sorry meals supervisor lol - but mom always makes it better than I do.
The peppermint custard is easy, add green colouring and peppermint essence, or blue colouring if you are using ready-made custard, as using green on ready made custard gives an interesting lime colour - refferred to by my girls as puke custard!!!
The girls at work say for pink custard they add red colouring and strawberry or raspberry essence, but I haven't tried this myself.
Eves pudding was another fave at school, my daughter makes a fantastic one now1
Sue

Well we still serve Chocolate concrete but the kids call it chocolate crunch and its served with pink custard..Its one of the most popular puddings so something never change. We used to have it served to us sometimes cold with a blob of artifical cream on top;..yum

Remember the plain concrete and, I think we also had fruit concrete at school. Bent many spoons on the stuff. The process of eating it was tricky, it quite often ended up on the floor - well you'd dust it off and pop it back on the plate! Yum........ Vv.

I also remember the variant with dried fruit, and the cornflake tart...on the subject of custard, you used to be able to get sachets of different flavours (sachets in a box), and certainly one was pink, and another was chocolate. By Brown and Polson, I think.

maria

Hi Maria, the stuff in different colours is blancmange, my husband loves it! He prefers it set cold with jelly.
rosie.

Glad I'm not the only one who had it with peppermint custard and Colin, that's the recipe mom has, she was a dreaded school dinner lady - sorry meals supervisor lol - but mom always makes it better than I do.
The peppermint custard is easy, add green colouring and peppermint essence, or blue colouring if you are using ready-made custard, as using green on ready made custard gives an interesting lime colour - refferred to by my girls as puke custard!!!
The girls at work say for pink custard they add red colouring and strawberry or raspberry essence, but I haven't tried this myself.
Eves pudding was another fave at school, my daughter makes a fantastic one now1
Sue
I was unable to get pink custard here in Australia so I bought a bottle of strawberry milk and used it with a couple of tablespoons of cornflour and sugar to make pink custard, it was delicious and as near to the pink custard.
Wendy

Last edited:
I remember it being served with pink custard, too, and that custard had a taste all of its own. My sister and I often reminisce and wish we could get the recipes. Well now we've got the recipe for the choc concrete, does anyone know how to make the pink custard?!
I have made it with strawberry milk , cornflour and sugar tastes pretty good.

Concrete and custard - whether yellow or pink - whilst delicious and enjoyed by most, was responsible for many a soiled item of clothing and a messy table. :laughing:

Do you remember when to keep DADS dinner hot you put a saucepan of water on the stove and put his dinner plate on it and a plate on the top to keep it hot:laughing:

My mum kept my dads dinner warm like that, we had already eaten ours. We would sit and talk to dad when he got home and was eating his tea and he often asked would you like some? We would go and get a sandwich plate and he would share his meal and I dont know why but it always tasted better than ours which was daft as we had the same meal haha :laughing:
Happy times.

Back