• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chiswell Enid Mary Coventry Road

tomjuonkins

proper brummie kid
Anyone out there who might know or remember what buildings stood on the the site where Lydon House 2325 Coventry Road now stands? My sisters hubby is looking for information regarding his birth mother .. this was the address given as his birth location in1950. Even better if anyone is aware of Enid Mary Chiswell dob c1927 who was either staying or living here? She was employed as a typist but employer unknown? No official records for her can currently be found.

Seems to be the daughter of Gilbert Horace Chiswell & Nellie James, birth reg West Bromwich. Had a sister Jean I Chiswell. Family were living in Coventry in 1939, Gilbert's death registered there in 1963.

There are two clippings in the Coventry Evening Telegraph (1954 & 1955) that mention an Enid Chiswell as a cast member in a play.

Seems to be the daughter of Gilbert Horace Chiswell & Nellie James, birth reg West Bromwich. Had a sister Jean I Chiswell. Family were living in Coventry in 1939, Gilbert's death registered there in 1963.
That's great .. I found a Enid Mary in West Bromley but could get any further? Not even on the 39 Register? I'll chase it up .. if successful, I'll let you know..
Hi .. thank you so much for the lead, I'll keep looking. So far I can't find anything on the sister, will probably be my only hope of eventually making contact with a relative of my bil. He would never try to trace his birth mom while his adoptive parents were alive, but has now asked for my help after seeing his double on a flog it programme.. thank you.
There are two clippings in the Coventry Evening Telegraph (1954 & 1955) that mention an Enid Chiswell as a cast member in a play.
Can't thank you all enough for the flow of information.. fantastic..

You wouldn't see Enid on the 1939 Register. She would have been too young, so should be a blanked out record with her parents possibly. Unless someone has supplied a death certificate and requested it to be opened.

Jean Iris Chiswell married Lionel Edward Plenty in Coventry 1944.

Lionel was b London and appears to be the son of Lionel Plenty & Eliza Ridgway. However in 1939 he is living in Coventry with Eliza's brother William Jubilee Ridgway & his wife Martha. At some stage after his marriage he seems to change his name from Plenty to Ridgway.

Lionel (1989) and Jean (2007) deaths are registered as Ridgway in Coventry.

You wouldn't see Enid on the 1939 Register. She would have been too young, so should be a blanked out record with her parents possibly. Unless someone has supplied a death certificate and requested it to be opened.

Jean Iris Chiswell married Lionel Edward Plenty in Coventry 1944.

Lionel was b London and appears to be the son of Lionel Plenty & Eliza Ridgway. However in 1939 he is living in Coventry with Eliza's brother William Jubilee Ridgway & his wife Martha. At some stage after his marriage he seems to change his name from Plenty to Ridgway.

Lionel (1989) and Jean (2007) deaths are registered as Ridgway in Coventry.
That is fantastic info ... B/in law will be delighted. He is assuming that his birth mom Enid will have passed away. I understand that Jean gave birth to a child c1949, however, I can't determine which sister was the elder, but Jeans child would be almost the same age as he? I'll try and search the name Ridgeway and perhaps a cousin may turn up ..I can't understand why Enid doesn't appear in any public records I've searched? Many thanks for your input..

Jean was the eldest. I think her daughter b1949 possibly died in 1997. You could also consider the children of Leonard Thomas Bennett and Emily James, they had at least 2 (twins b1941) though one appears to have died in 1989. They may remember Enid at Coventry Road.

There are a number of family trees on Ancestry that have Gilbert Horace Chiswell in them. How close their relationship with him are I don't know but you can see their trees (public) and contact them if you have a subscription.

Records from other parts of the world are not as readily available, so if she emigrated it would make things difficult. That's the most likely reason.

Back