• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chip shops

horsencart

master brummie
Edit. Unfiltered the image in the link below is no longer available but refers to a chip shop in Bull Street..

I noticed an odd thing today, people queuing for chip at the chip shop, I may be wrong but it was the sort of thing that was done years back but not in this day and age

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be good chips. Is that Bull St.? Must be new, as I dont remember seeing them before.

Chances are Lyn they'll be gone next week like a lot of independents , great to start off then they can't raise enough for the rates

Passed the shop today and decided to try them. The people are not queuing to pay, but queuing to get the chips. They seem to be fried three times and each final frying ( though it only seems to take a few minutes) is only about enough about for 3 portions - thus the queue. There are an amazing number of sauces (hot and cold) and powdered flavourings that can be added if required ( at extra cost). The small portion is £2.30 (probably about a normal chip shop portion) and also medium and large (£5-35 !!!!). They were quite nice chips, though not as nice as if they had been cooked in dripping. At those prices I would not go again though

Mike, it’s interesting how retailers have managed to push up prices and margins by making things quirky over time.

Gosh £2.30 for the humble chip. I’m with you, much better cooked in dripping.

They still cook chips in dripping in Whitby. I got married in Whitby and took my new wife for fish and chips, cooked in dripping for our wedding breakfast. I know how to show a girl a good time.

I would certainly have appreciated it. Am going to Leeds for a few days thus week and one morning will be travelling to Otley on the bus to sample the delicious efforts of the chip shop there, and willl almost certainly have some more in Leeds.

Passed the shop today and decided to try them. The people are not queuing to pay, but queuing to get the chips. They seem to be fried three times and each final frying ( though it only seems to take a few minutes) is only about enough about for 3 portions - thus the queue. There are an amazing number of sauces (hot and cold) and powdered flavourings that can be added if required ( at extra cost). The small portion is £2.30 (probably about a normal chip shop portion) and also medium and large (£5-35 !!!!). They were quite nice chips, though not as nice as if they had been cooked in dripping. At those prices I would not go again though
A large chips at our local which was the winner of an award recently is £3.50, but they are not triple fried which are gourmet chips. If Devon Jim or Ray is reading this, thats the Pelican at Sticklepath

A large chips at our local which was the winner of an award recently is £3.50, but they are not triple fried which are gourmet chips. If Devon Jim or Ray is reading this, thats the Pelican at Sticklepath
Bob, popped in the Pelican yesterday, large chips £2.80.

the best chip shop.i think was the one just along from nechells baths. tanner for chips, and a load of greasy batter chucked in for free. the chips was cooked in beef dripping. hoooo. loverly i dont like todays chips shops the oil is sometimes old and it tastes of all thats been in there.

There was a great chippy in Highters Heath Rd., when I was in my youth, called Everetts. The best of it was my kid brother worked there, so I got my fish 'n chips buckshee !

Only been to Bedders once, as I recall it only opened certain days of the week. Used to work locally and quite a few people from the office used to make a once a week visit for lunch.
Sadly, fish and chips is no longer a cheap Friday night meal! Two mini fish and one chips and no change from a tenner!

Only been to Bedders once, as I recall it only opened certain days of the week. Used to work locally and quite a few people from the office used to make a once a week visit for lunch.
Sadly, fish and chips is no longer a cheap Friday night meal! Two mini fish and one chips and no change from a tenner!
I remember fish for a bob and a tanners worth of chips ,happy days oh and a scoop full of batter bits

Back