• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chip shops in witton rd

We used to get our fish and chips from Chris's in the Witton area but I think the shop was actually in Aston Lane.
My father used to drive there from Handsworth Wood to get them as we thought they were the best!

Pete does and he said every Friday they would have Telfords pie, chips and Pepsi from there. They would eat it watching Robin Hood with Richard Green in. He said a small Welsh lady ran the shop. Jean.

hi jean ;
i recall those old telfords meat pie you are going back abit there our kid
in those little celoform wrapping ; i found them abit mean with the meat contents thou ;
i changed to the old cornished pastrys ; they was wholsome ; and now pukka pies brill;
mind you i do not eat alot of chips now ; i eat plenty of fish and row now
if i eat chips i only get them from dads chippy indog pool lane stirchley ; they are the best in brum ;
and i can say they have taken over where beddows dropped off they que early and its none stop from opening till close
and you can eat in as well ;
on the subject of the aston chippy we found like most peole in the area of vicarage rd and the surrounding streets of aston was next to the victoria rd police station we would trap up there from lichfield rd to Gibson chippy next to the nick ;with our two jugs one in each hand chipps to talk about ;
and the home made pies ; brill ;then we would watch michael benteen with the bumbles ; if you recall them;
best wishes astonian;

Happy days yes she had black hair and glasses she had an assistant it was 6 old pence for chips in newspaper Friday was our chip day also Don

I remember the chippy by Mansfield Road well, ran by 2 middle aged ladies, stopped going there when the "Greek" chippy opened further down Witton Road on the opposite side just after the junction with Trinity Road, I guess that would have been in the early 70's.

The 'Greek' chippie was previously run by a big elderly lady, nationality unknown, who used to talk to herself in the shop. "Cheeps, cheeps, nass cheeps", she would keep saying as she cut the spuds with her old-fashioned hand-operated chipper. She was a kind old soul, and if you were a penny short for your six of chips she'd let you off. My mother hated chip shops and even more hated me eating chips in the street, and somehow she always knew if I had been - probably smelled the vinegar.

G

Alan they were a bit skinny with their meat. I used to make a hole in the middle of mine and put a nob of butter in. I too remember the shop next to the Police station as I used to stop off after swimming club and buy chips and walk home down Park road. Don't eat chips now only with a bit of Stilton melted on.

Slightly off-thread, but does anyone remember the tripe shop on the corner of Witton Road and Trinity Road? And the cowheel shop on the corner of Bevington Road and Trinity Road, right opposite the Rat Pan?

Also slightly off-thread, but some years ago we were on hols in Norfolk and went to a certain seaside town where we had fish and chips at a chippie right on the seafront. It was the best fish and chips we'd ever had, unbelievably good. So good that we went back the next night and were disappointed, as the meal wasn't very good at all. The chips were soggy and the fish was under-done. When I complained to the waitress, she said that the previous night the "chef" was the grandmother of the shop's owner, a lady in the 80's, but she was there one night only when the usual "chef", the owner's son I think, was away. Goes without saying - cooking fish and chips is an ancient craft.

G

Was that in Wells Graham?

I am a few years older than you youngsters and our chip shop was Redferns', the shop was next to the cycle shop on the corner of Jardine Road and Witton Road. It was the only one in Witton in the 40's. Wonderful chips, responsible no doubt for a few clogged up arteries, they were cooked in dripping.

Hi Di,

yes, that was in Wells-next-the-Sea, and we were staying at a pub in Little Walsingham. When I mentioned this to my wife I thought it was about 20 years ago, but it turns out to be more like 35 years back....am feeling very old now. Nothing to do with the chippie, but we've never been back to Wells, even though we've had holidays in Norfolk since then.

G

We go to Norfolk quite often and there is still a good chip shop on the 'Front'. I think it's called French's.

Back