• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chinery In Birmingham

OldBrummie

master brummie
I have a Census record for 1841 in the names Thomas and Lidia Chinery both born 1806. The address given is Cross Street Club Building, Birmingham.
I have found a Cross Street on a Birmingham Map but have tried to Google Cross Street Club Building without success. If these people are who I think they might be, they both died in the Poorhouse in (Thomas) 1852 and Lidia (Lydia) in 1843. All their five children (born 1828-1840) died at under 1 yo. Not a happy family.
My question is, does anyone out there know if "Cross Street Club Building" might have any connection with the Poorhouse.
Look forward to any help. Regards, OldBrummie. NSW, Aus.

IMG_1777.jpg

If you look at the census and go a few pages backward and forward it mentions Beak Street and Hill Street and Suffolk Street. The clip from 1844 shows this area and includes Cross Street.

Green's Village has featured on the Forum, and the area seems to be very poor and may be Irish community.

There is a Club Building Company mentioned around that time, and also some investment in forming Clubs to build premises. I don't think these clubs were set up to provide benefit but purely profit. So maybe in 1841 they were still hanging in, but only just.

Thanks Pedrocut. The fact that I knew their circumstances made me think of the Poorhouse Only I got that wrong. I should have typed Workhouse.
As to an Irish connection, of that I am not sure. More searching needed.

OldBrummie.

IMG_1778.jpg IMG_1779.jpg

Aris's Birmingham Gazette December 1849....Spiritual, Moral and Sanitary condition of Birmingham, S Jude's parish.

The thumbnail map of the 1880s does not show Cross Street, but someone may be able to come up with location. There is a mention of a "well-known PH and tripe house" called the Old Acorn forming corner of Hill Street and Cross St. Also a Lamp Tavern situate in Beak Street, forming the corner with Cross St.

Severn st at that time did not include the section to the north of east of Suffolk S t,which was then known as Cross St. Below is a map c 1839 showing Cross st. The description given must make the court referred to the long yard to the north of Cross st. This is also shown on the Pigot Smith map of c 1828. The c1889 OS map shows the same yard, but with a large building at the end described as Iron Fitting works, which is presumably the Engine factory mentioned

map c 1839 showing cross st.jpg map c 1889 showing court 4 suffolk st.jpg

Looking at the 1841 census there are about 78 people living in the Club Buildings in Cross Street....on the page with the mention of Thomas there are 50 of whom 7 were born in Ireland, and Thomas and Lidia were born in Birmingham.

Mikejee and Pedrocut, what can I say. I knew this family saw bad times but this is something else. Thank you both.
Sometimes, we simply don't know how well off we are.

Again. my sincere thanks.

OldBrummie.

Back