• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chinery Family

OldBrummie

master brummie
Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather Thomas Chinery married Mary Wright on 11-03-1776 at St. Martins according to info provided. They allegedly had 10 children. I know of 1st - James (married Ann Johnson but no dates of any kind) 2nd Isaac (Baptised 9-11-1789 St. Martins - married Sophia Hayes but sparse info) and 6th Jonathan ( my 3G Grandfather b. 1797 and married Sarah Faulkner - the most beneficial in assisting the compilation of my tree). I have no knowledge of the alleged remaining offspring. What are the difficulties and anticipated costs in formally seeking out the missing data and how would I go about it. I am not in UK so am unable to visit repositories myself. Census Records have not assisted at all.
Any info or advice would be most welcome.
Regards Peter. - Old Brummie.

There are 12 baptisms extracted from the records of St. Martins but as 3 of them are for John perhaps the first 2 died in infancy.
All have parents Thomas and Mary
Sarah 28th july 1777
Susanna 8th March 1779
Thomas 1st April 1782
John 3rd May 1784
John 6th February 1786
Mary 14th January 1788
Isaac 9th November 1789
John 13th september 1791
Catherine 2nd October 1792
James 26th april 1794
Jonathan 19th July 1797
Jane 13th May 1799

This is fantastic. I am most grateful. It seems my basic information was a bit out as I had James being number one, Isaac three and Jonathan 6. I will now have to see if the Census Records will help expand things. What a great pity 'The Census' didn't start a few decades earlier.
Thank you again. Peter.

I have Thomas Chinery c 1st April 1782 who married Jane Swift at St Martins 1803 Their daughter Mary b 1809 married James Bowen in 1829 at Edgbaston. James Bowen was a clock maker. Sorry I do not have any details for any other Chinery off spring.

Hello Dottieau.
I do believe your Thomas Chinery is same as 3rd child of my 4G Grandfather, Thomas Chinery. So you have very kindly provided me yet another link in the chain. I am so grateful.
But there may be more. I notice on your list of "family names" Holtham.
I have a "Holtom (no middle h) amongst my connections. It is an Agnes Annie Holtom born about 1875 who became the second wife of Arthur Frank Chinery - born 1871. They were married 26.12.1896, so I am wondering if again, we might have a connection if the spelling of one or the other (Holtham Holtom) has been miss-transcribed.
And finally, you also list "Crump". I went to school in Solihull (Tudor Grange Grammar School) in the 1950's with a Martin Crump. I wonder if he is one of yours.
Kindest regards and many thanks. Peter. (OldBrummie)

Hi - I'm Glenn Chinery, the great-great-great-great U.S. grandson of Thomas Chinery and Mary Wright (through his son James, who married Ann Johnson and emigrated to the U.S. in 1826; his brother William came over a little later, and both settled in New York City). I've traced from Thomas down to my family (I'm now a grandfather and my new grandson is named James). I am looking to trace Thomas Chinery and Mary Wright back further and am getting a DVD of all the St. Martin's parish register records. In addition I participated in the National Geographic Genographic Project, and so have some interesting information about the path of the group of humans who left Africa about 60,000 years ago, went through the Levant, then into the Persian/Iranian area, then in some of the former Soviet republics and around the Bronze Age moved into Western Europe and Britain. I look forward to communicating/collaborating with my distant English cousins (and other relatives in the U.S.) about tracing the family tree back further. My name is Glenn T. Chinery and my email address can be obtained by sending me an instant message.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's uncle Cecil Stone worked for a Mr Chinnery who was a painter and decorator in the Selly Park district of Birmingham. One of the jobs they had was decorating the convent in Selly Park.

Hi Glen. Thrilled to read yours. Instant Message on the way. Old Brummie

Hi Historynut. If the spelling you gave as CHINNERY (2 n's) is correct, then we are not connected as my line deffinately only has one 'n'. Old Brummie

Sorry it was a typo...Chinery is probably right although I only ever heard the name. He taught Ces the trade of decorating and then Ces continued with it for the rest of his life.

Hi again Historynut.
In that case it could well have been one of mine. We have both Plumbers and Painters and Decorators going back quite a number of generations with strong connections to Cadbury at Bournville.
OldBrummie

Hi, all,
I am of the Chinery's from Birmingham. My 3rd great grandfather was James Chinery, son of Thomas and Mary Wright. It may be that Thomas was originally from Suffolk, possibly Bury St. Edwards area, but I am not sure. I am guessing the Industrial Revolution brought many to the cities for work. Any help is appreciated. James Chinery went to America to work for the US Mint as a die/coin cutter. His work became admired. The family remained in metal work for many generations as pipe fitters and blacksmiths, etc. Many thanks, M Chinery

Hi again M Chinery (a bit formal but I dont know your name yet).
I have been working on the "Chinery Tree" for about 14 years and am aware of James Chinery (1794 - 1840) migrating to The States with his wife Ann Johnson (1796 - 1842). I show 6 children.
Ann 1818-1818, Ann Susanna (1820 - ?), James (1822 - ?), Sarah (1824-1825), Eliza (1826 - ?), and Isaac Humphrey (1829 - 1913).
I am assuming your line comes from either James or Isaac Humphrey.
I have also been in contact with one Glenn Chinery, who is on Isaac Humphrey's line but seem to have lost contact with him.
May I suggest you contact my via email, address (blanked out) as this could get a bit much for this site.
Look forward to hearing from you and I will elaborate on my connection.
Best wishes, Peter.

Last edited:
Hi again M Chinery (a bit formal but I dont know your name yet).
I have been working on the "Chinery Tree" for about 14 years and am aware of James Chinery (1794 - 1840) migrating to The States with his wife Ann Johnson (1796 - 1842). I show 6 children.
Ann 1818-1818, Ann Susanna (1820 - ?), James (1822 - ?), Sarah (1824-1825), Eliza (1826 - ?), and Isaac Humphrey (1829 - 1913).
I am assuming your line comes from either James or Isaac Humphrey.
I have also been in contact with one Glenn Chinery, who is on Isaac Humphrey's line but seem to have lost contact with him.
May I suggest you contact my via email, address [email protected] as this could get a bit much for this site.
Look forward to hearing from you and I will elaborate on my connection.
Best wishes, Peter.

#OldBrummie I would remove that email link and use the private message facility, unless you like giving yur email addrerss to the whole world and all of the web bots

#OldBrummie I would remove that email link and use the private message facility, unless you like giving yur email addrerss to the whole world and all of the web bots

Morturn I thank you and appreciate your advice but I am not familiar with the 'private msg facility'
OldBrummie

It is called a "conversation". Click on someone's name and you should see the option to "start a conversation" if you do that then any message is only between you and that person - not the world.

Back