• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childrens Toys From The 30s

If I were to choose, again, It would either be the RAF Zepp in the last pic or best of all the Avro Rota Mk 1 Cierva Autogyro C30 in picture 3.

I've always wanted a (real) Autogyro after I saw some Tomorrow's World type programme that reckoned we'd all have one instead of cars in the future (about now) and that they couldn't crash (due to the gyro effect, assuming you haven't lost the blades). Always seemed just right for the inevitable post-apocalyptic nightmare to come (and Mad Max's Gyro Captain seemed to agree with that)...

"Pop the Beacon" for me: "Lawless fun in your own home"!

(What an amazing collection Mr Opie has.)

about 1939/40 - I was given a "wooded brick" - this wooden brick opened up into pieces which were - a table - 4 chairs and a side board. Just like a puzzle, I played with them for ages. I also had a double jointed doll [ from an aunt in London] - wonder what happened to that? Miriam.

Hello Miriam, happy memories eh, most kids today want better toys than their friends have, or at least equally as expensive. The amount of enjoyment or fun derived from these electronic toys is of no importance to the kids today because all that is important is that they have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meccano: now you're talking! My "Meccano Sets" gave me many years of enjoyment from an early age to my teens (about 1955-1964). Is it still made?

The Cambridge Meccano Differential Analyser was built in 1935 at Cambridge University. This early computer did important work in World War 2, and in 1950 was exported to New Zealand where it was used in radio research. It is preserved and displayed at the Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT) in Auckland, New Zealand. It's certainly not a children's toy, but is a clever example of the practical application of Meccano.

Much relieved to see the welcome appearance of Meccano, Hornby, Frog and Trix. And look forward to seeing Dinky, Bassett-Lowke, Bowman, Mamod, Chad Valley, Schuco and no doubt many others (including a building system of interlocking rubber bricks - a precursor of Lego).

Chris

Hello Chris, I dont know if all those were on the market in the 30s, I will have a closer look because I can not scan the whole area of each page because they are too larg and I have to a page in three or four goes and I still miss the middle. I do not know how detailed it is but Robert Opie has a museum full of all this stuff so you find someting interesting on his page.

ChrisM, it's me again, I took a quick look but the names you mentioned are not pictured, the following is the paragraph for the decade in question added by the auther.

View attachment 63119

Thanks, Stitcher.

I believe that the additional brands which I mentioned were in fact produced in the 1930s - and some of them post-war as well. I was lucky enough to possess several of them, either bought new for me or inherited from my elder brother when he went off to war or bought second-hand during the war when new toys were unobtainable. One or two of them survived. I'll try and post a few images over the next few weeks when I have penetrated the loft.

One toy which didn't survive was a wonderful clockwork Schuco car. (That company survives to this day). This was voice operated, no miracle in these days but it certainly was then. You shouted "stop" or "go" over its roof (which was slotted and with a little panel below sensitive to the movement of air) and it would react accordingly.

Wish I could remember the name of the building set. I didn't have one and only remember it from advertisements in 1930s "Meccano Magazines" (still surviving somewhere in the family) over which I used to pore when I was old enough to read.

Chris

On the subject of Meccano magazines I came across this website https://www.meccanoindex.co.uk/ There is loads of information regarding the magazine and also you can view and download past issues of the magazine from 1916 to 1981.

Here is a direct link to the magazines themselves https://www.meccanoindex.co.uk/Magindex.php Click on "PDF version of the Meccano Magazine for downloading/viewing" on the left hand side of the screen to view and download all of the available issues.

I must say I have spent hours looking through these old issues all containing great articles on engineering, inventions and inventors, railways and other great in-depth subjects in the magazines. I never knew the magazine had such great stuff in them other than covering Meccano itself. Well worth a look and I hope you have as much enjoyment reading them as I have.

This was sent to me as a Christmas gift from a dear friend, because of my family connection to Norton's of Key Hill.

Mecanno from Nortons.jpg

Thanks for that, Dave.

My brother collected the magazine from about 1932 up until after the outbreak of war. After he had disappeared to North Africa and Italy I used to pile them up by the side of my bed and gradually work through them in daye order, tracking especially the development of Hornby "0" Gauge as new models were introduced. They reached their pinnacle with the breathtaking "Princess Elizabeth" 4-6-2 Pacific of 1938/9 at the equally breathtaking price of, I think, five guineas. And at the same time the appearance of Hornby Dublo with its little 0-6-2 tankers, "Sir Nigel Gresley" and its teak coaches and them, in glorious LMS maroon, "Duchess of Atholl", all being operated in the adverts by a smug looking little boy with his dad sucking a pipe and looking on approvingly. This system had hardly got into its stride by the outbreak of war and was something which one could only drool over on paper and wonder whether one would ever see an example of, let alone own one.

And all sorts of other delights of course. Incredible constructions of Meccano. Boat and aeroplane kits. Frog model aircraft. The latest Dinkies. A sort of building kit, with rubber bricks rather like an early Lego. Information on the branches of the Hornby Railway Club. Wonderful layouts. And, as you say, all sorts of articles on engineering and so on. By the time I had worked through everything and got just about up to date, the magazine was a shadow of its normal self and contained regular advertisements along the lines of: sorry, boys and girls, we can't produce the things you want at the moment because we are involved in more important duties but.... be patient....eventually........ We were, and they did.

Chris

Hi all,
Dinky Toys were certainly around in the 30's, as Hornby Modelled Miniatures in '33, then Dinky from '34 till production stopped in '39 for War work. Pre War Dinky's were still in the shops till Xmas '40 though stocks were getting short by then.
Pre War Dinkys are very hard to find now, due to lead contamination in the mazak causing them to split and fall apart.
I have 30 or so 1930's Dinkys, here are a few....

Some Postwar Dinkys in this one too....

Chris Warr

The double decker bus is most interesting and broadly modeled on an AEC Q type which was a revolutionary design from 1933.

Back