• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children's Radio Programmes

christopher short

Birmingham Post
Remember Uncle Mac on Saturday morning 9 till 10 on the wireless ? Childrens' Favourites.

How about:-
The Laughing Policeman
Sparky's Magic Piano
The Billy Goats Gruff

There must be loads more.......

Nelly the Elephant
Ugly Duckling
Magnificent men in their Flying Machines
This is the night (from lady and the tramp)
How much is the doggy in the Window.

Lynda:)

The runaway train
The old lady who swallowed a fly
Tubby the Tuba...

Coincidentally Uncle Mac got a mention on The Weakest Link last night and much to my surprise the, far younger than me (and I'm young), contestant got the question right.

Doesn't it go back much further than this, to Toytown with Larry the Lamb, Mr. Mayor etc. Uncle Mac appeared on that, didn't he? Or am I getting mixed up?

Chris

PS Yes, all in "Children's Hour" at about 5 p.m. on the BBC Home Service.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia you are correct Chris. It also describes the dramatic trauma he suffered in the trenches during WWI

Big Rock Candy Mountain by Burl Ives, with the un pc line "the buzzing of the bees in the cigarette trees"

There was also a song by a German childrens' choir that was popular but it escapes me.

That was presumably "The Happy Wanderer" by the Vienna Boys Choir that you are referring to.

Maurice :cool:

I've got a 3cd set called "Hello Children, everywhere" which has 75 of these classics!

"You're a pink toothbrush", " In the middle of the house", "Deadwood Stage", " Buckingham Palace". (This version has the Obernkirchen children's choir singing "The Happy Wanderer")

rosie.

You can buy a cd set from the BBC in the Mailbox or elsewhere called "Hello Children Everywhere" with them all on including my favorite "Carbon the Copy Cat"

Here comes Muffin Muffin the Mule. (I loved Muffin :biggrin:

Educating Archie had a signature tune I think.

www.whirligig-tv.co.uk This is a great site . Enjoy. Max

( i had began to think that Billy Bean was a figment of my imagination until i found this web site )

Last edited by a moderator:

I take your point Alf, However unless you know about whirlygig you wouldnt be able to seaech for it in the forum archives ! I think many many things have been covered in the past which led recently to Rupert starting the thread " The oxygen has gone out of the pond " . The membership is growing and repetition is bound to happen. Max

I must be getting old 'cos I forget anyway.:boohoo: That's why I enjoy the television as I've forgotten they are repeats.
Lynda:)

I personally enjoy hearing about Uncle Mac and his long ago programme with all of the songs mentioned. I have been using the whirligig site for years. It's great to see it mentioned for people who haven't heard about it. They have a great forum as well for memories of early TV and Radio programmes and answers to those questions about who was who that tend to drive you up the wall when you can't put a name to a face,etc.
Fortunately, the site has been able to keep the TV programme signature tunes and other music intact over the years. The other site that was unable to is called Sterling Times. It has some great stuff on it's pages. www.sterlingtimes.co.uk

Lynda

I'm the same...................... it's not until the programe is over that I realise it was a blooming repeat !!! Still I enjoy it anyway

Back