• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childrens' old Black and White Progs

This is odd, the "youtube" Torchy clip was in my youtube favourites for a few weeks but I eventually deleted it because I think it looks far to spooky, its is disturbing to say the least, and as for Torchy himself Im suprised we are not a generation of gibbering idiots having had to watch that as children.

Thankfully I dont think I ever got to watch that episode as Im fairy sane, well most of the time!! Come one now, this is the stuff of nightmares!!

The correct spelling of the oft-used adjective in the video featured in Post #1 is splendiferous, with the second "e", and not an "a" as written in Post #4. David:rolleyes:

This is odd, the "youtube" Torchy clip was in my youtube favourites for a few weeks but I eventually deleted it because I think it looks far to spooky, its is disturbing to say the least, and as for Torchy himself Im suprised we are not a generation of gibbering idiots having had to watch that as children.

Thankfully I dont think I ever got to watch that episode as Im fairy sane, well most of the time!! Come one now, this is the stuff of nightmares!!

Twizzle gave me nightmares. Torchy was scary. But these are nothing to the scary things kids watch today. If I child sit the grandkids I always take my computer, a selection of "civilised" dvds and a massive set of 'phones. No more nightmares for me thank you.

Talking of childrens TV. Did any of the males in here fancy Muriel Young?:hoteyes: I seem to remember she shared the screen with an owl called ollie.

My favourite was 'Billy bean & his funny machine' it used to fascinate me back in the early fifties & I used to try & make something out of cardboard boxes with little chutes to roll marbles down like in the programme

5lzcxt.jpg

Talking of childrens TV. Did any of the males in here fancy Muriel Young?:hoteyes: I seem to remember she shared the screen with an owl called ollie.

i remember 50 years ago in primary school one of the kids coming in crying to say that he'd been insulted by another in the playground, and the teacher telling him to reply next time with "you look like Muffin the Mule then"! I can trace a picture, Bill, with Muriel Young and Muffin if you are interested?

Yes, Richie, the "Whirligig" link is still on the Forum. It's a great site for looking for those old shows, etc.
Last time I went on I watched some Billy Bunter clips. Just great and so many good memories. Thanks for reminding us.

"! I can trace a picture, Bill, with Muriel Young and Muffin if you are interested?

Ahem! would this be legal?[/QUOTE]

Bill, i'm having real trouble getting on this website. Like 12 hours continuously sometimes! So I've dumped Muffin and gone for Muriel in person, as it were.

www.gettyimages.com/detail/78973004/Popperfoto.

Photo presented in accordance with the Getty non-commercial and educational guidelines (especially the educational).

Can still look for Muffin if you are interested?

Richie.

I loved Bill and Ben the flowerpot men Looby Loo and of course their tortoise. [Not David Fowler's]. Can anyone name him? only I got this correct in a pub quiz last year. How sad is that?.

Ahm ! Bit too old for me mate, but I think you mean a programme called Tuesday Rondezvous, Ollie Owl, and a dog puppet as a double act. As well as Muriel Young I think it had Bert Weedon, and another bloke I cant remember.

Hi Fatfingers I was on that once. Won a competition about nature study and animals. Patty may remember. Met them all including Bazil Brush BUM BUM. Jean.

Hi Fatfingers I was on that once. Won a competition about nature study and animals. Patty may remember. Met them all including Bazil Brush BUM BUM. Jean.

Pity there were no videos around then isnt it ? could have put you on youtube...

Just looked it up on the interweb thing, wasnt Ollie Owl, it was Ollie Beak, and the dog was Fred Barker. and the programme went out on a Friday night !

I think it changed over the years fatfingers. I still have the letter from John Rhodes the producer of the programme and the book I wrote with sketches etc. I only got it out the other night after years of it being in the dresser as my granddaughter wanted to look. I will sort the date it went out. The programme was live and I never did get to see it [not that I wanted to]. I was on with Graham Dangerfield and he brought in an owl and a tine dear and the owl pood all over the floor when it was being filmed and I almost burst out laughing. Do you know it was Freddy Barker come to think of it and all these years I convinced myself it was Basil. I must check with Patty and Denise who both watched it. TTFN. Jean.

I loved Bill and Ben the flowerpot men Looby Loo and of course their tortoise. [Not David Fowler's]. Can anyone name him? only I got this correct in a pub quiz last year. How sad is that?.

It was Slowcoach, wasn't it, Jean? David

Yes David it was. I don't know how I remembered it in the middle of that quiz or maybe it was a couple of glasses of nectar that brought it to the front of my brain. Jean.

Jean,
I sincerely don't know if it would have come to me in the stressful circumstances of a pub quiz - let alone with the bright lights and microphones of a TV quiz show! But in the comfort of my own home - and after a delicious English Sunday lunch and a bottle of Aglianico (a delightful southern Italian red wine) - it came flashing back as quickly as the tortoise himself! Best wishes, David

Told you it was the wine David. Incidentally we did win that night but hardly anyone else turned up. It's only a bit of fun and Rickie puts on a Jacket potato with cheese. Jean.

Back