• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

childrens homes

anniekei

master brummie
Hi all i was browsing the www.workhouse.org.uk and reading about the workhouses, they were certainly hard times, however i came across a picture of children and ther carers, it stated it was a small childrens home in summerhill birmingham, does anyone have any information on this thanks
annie:)

After the childrens home it became the old folks well fare and retirement home it was right by the sand pitts the council built a big glass shelter for them to come out side and rest and enjoy the british weather in the sun when ever we got it in the 70- 80,s the head princible killed two people
one was mr hands from lady wood [ spring feild st lady wood and the other chap i cannot remember his name i remember nice old mr hands
he was a local neibiur to me in his retirementment he kept himself busy and acticive he thou he had a gammy leg he would push his builders hand cart around the area in all weathers and he favorite hobby was keeping racing pigions thats where the childrens home was and the out side building has.nt really changed not that i know of best wishes astonian ,;;;;

would you be refering to summerhill terrace, i always thought that used to be a nurses home at one point, it is now a hostel for homeless men over 45 who have a drink or mental health problems due to alcohol, it is a lovely old building, i remember the glass shelter, it is still there we used to play around there when i was a child
regards annie

Anniekie
yes it was on summer hill terrace it was a combined
nurses and elderly disabled and infirmed gentlmans home many many years
ago and they built another bulding along the rd from there for nurses and mid wifes home about 300 yards along on summer hill
what the excact year they changed this home to alcholas annd homeless people this must have been long time after i grew up and moved on
i was there when they built the shelter for the men
some was from the war with no legs and proud if they could manage it
or a nurse would wheel them out across the rd to the shelter some could be seen wearing there medals this is the earluy forties and fifties
[ can only presume you must be talking the early -mid sixties if these homeless and alkies moved in which gives you the years you are thinking of for that period best wishes astonian ;;

hi astonian

i remember the nurses home now, it was opposite the roller rink if i remember correctly, this building is being refurbished or at least it was when i last past october 08, as for summer hill terrace it was for a while a drop in centre late 70's early 80's for alcoholics i am not sure when it became a hostel for homeless men but i think it has only been in the last 15 years or so, they are now relocating to perry barr somewhere and this old building will be once again empty, lets hope they don't demolish it like all the others it is a lovely building. back to the nurses home, this was also used as a hostel in the early to mid seventies, my friend was the matron there and the building also suffered a severe fire so has been empty for a long time, have no idea what is in store for it how about you?
best wishes anniekei

HI ANNIEKIE
Many Thanks For Your Reply And Information On The Nurses
Home I Did Not Know About The Fire At The Nursung Home nor Turning It Into A Hostel But As You Have Said It Was In The Seventies But I Had Left Birmingham By Then So I Would Not Have Known That bUT In My Eyes
Birmingham As Got A Thing About Hostels There Was A Load Of Them In The Sixties There Was Rwo Or Three Around Perry Barr The Sme At Snow Hill
And They Even Turned The Old Work House Back Into An Hostel
That Being The Anex Part Of The Building On Westeren Rd Which Was Just Ajoining The Old Head Porters Office That Used Be The Exit Entrance To
The Summerfield old Peoples Infirmery They Eventualy Closed That Down And
They Turned It Into The Hard Of Hearing Centre For The Death Hearing People Before Moderising The City Hospital And Extending It
ANN . I Would LIKE tO Hear What They Will Do To The Old Nurses Home
Look Foreward To Hearing Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

hi astonian

as soon as i have any info i will let you know, are you back living in birmingham now or still in exile speak soon
best wishes anniekei

hi anniekei
how are you today fine i hope, yes plese let me know
no annie i have not and will not ever move back to brum i only make day trips if i have too only to see my daughter aND GRAND KIDS OR MAY BE THE ODD VISIT TO THE LIBARY THE VILLAGE LIFE IS VERY PEACEFUL AND SLOW AND CLEAN AIRMY VIEWS
ARE FIELDS WITH HORSES AND CATTLE TO WATCH AND ADMIRE
I HAVE NO EMEDIATE HOUSE DIRE TLY OPPERSITE ME LIKE CITY FOLK
THE ONLY PROBLEM WE HAVE IS IN THE WINTER BUT THE SUMMER IS GREAT
SPEAK TO YOU SOON ANNIE HAVE A NICE DAY ASTONIAN

hi astonian

you lucky so and so. i lived in st leonards on sea in east sussex for 6 years and i loved living by the sea myself and hubby travelled the whole south coast on our days off from work, we came back to brum 2004, and i am glad we did they say there is no place like home and that is true, i could not believe the changes in the city centre when we returned the old bull ring market had gone and a new one in its place, it just does not have the same atmosphere as the old market, ah well they call it progress
speak soon
regards anniekei

GOOD MORNING ANNIE
Why on earth did you move back to brum the south coast
is a lovely part to live in surely i go down there once every year yes you are most certaintly right how the brum you knew as changed, especialy the bull ring
And yes the bull ring Atmosphere as mostly disapeared to when you look back on the day gone eraslook at the pre years of the 1900. and durining the 1900,
when the hawkers going down the bulling on the hill and there hand carts all lined up
selling there wares of fruit and veg all the hawkers calling out to you as you walk past there carts holding out to you with may be half a fresh cut orange or lemens
even grapes for you to buy and try before you buy there was a tremous atmosphere
then later in years they built a concourse for them to work under that mayed it a litle dismill that was a change from old jamica row even now the rag alley as itwas called
eventualy lost its asmosphere and now its even gone again the old bull ring as certainly gone for good as i worked in the bull ring when i ran a pub there the old bull became a different world of the evening you had to be there to see how the bulling
was notorius atevening in years gone bye especialy after the shopers had gone home eight oclock on wardsit became another world for all types of shady and dangerous
people beleive plus the vagabonds came out of the wood work
i have always had the passion for country lifeits because its in my genes,that my mother and grand parents being land owners [ farms and market garndners ]
i spent alot of my early years in the village of honeybourne eversham in a quaint little cottage called ivydene and on green farm of my relatives whom was the jelfs,
they own lands even today al acros worc i als lived in a village with an aunt up in wales
just out side abergavenny so you se thats where my passioncomes from the country
but any way getting back to brum it as most certainly changrd and my personal opiniun as a person whom as ran alot of pubs around brum and certan parts of the country i hink brum as gone and i certainly have no desire to return to brum to live
annie the only time i come to brum and thats to se my grand children and my daughter why she moved back to brum i never know ,well i surpose i do really the kids are city kids and not country bumkins as city folk whom live in the country
but he real reasona well my daughter is marrid to a top goverment officier whom is brum and because ofhis work commitment he decided they was moving back to brum
from a nice big house in a quaint vllage of inkerbrough worc he did,nt like the travel
stillthats life ah annie home is where you want it to be .any way i still call myself brummy and was brought up and dragged up in aston and still proud of it
well annie i,m off to church now i will speak again with you i hope
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;

My grandfather went into a Childrens home, around 1911, he lived in Aston, we think it was a Dr, Barnardos, can anyone give me any info about this, and where about there was one, or which one he would have gone into?

In 1902 my grandfather was in the care of "Women's Shelter" on Summer Lane in Birmingham when an application was made to Dr. Barnardo's. Does this shelter have a formal name?

My grandfather was also put into, we believe a Dr Banardo's home, he lived in Aston, could he have gone to the one in Summerhill Road, around about 1911 or 1912? or if not do u know of any other ones in the area, or was there one main one?

I'm afraid I don't know of any other children's home in the area. This particular home on Summerhill Lane was written in my grandfather's case file, which I received from Barnardo's After Care.

I am wondering if anyone could tell me about Hawthorne House childrens home in the 1970s. Maybe someone on here worked there as a nursery nurse.

This one has just been sent to me...

Attachments

• COTTAGE HOMES.jpg
    COTTAGE HOMES.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 32
I'm sorry Lisa, but I don't know the answer to that question, but I bet you there is someone on the site who does.

Post 18......No it isn't , This photo is of one of the houses that belong to the Erdington Cottage Homes, which were located on Fentham Road, the grounds if I remember correctly were part of Highcroft Hospital.

my husband and his brother and sister where brought up here the house just by the gates is the lodge
and the house next to it is was home two called paxhall

I am wondering if anyone could tell me about Hawthorne House childrens home in the 1970s. Maybe someone on here worked there as a nursery nurse.
Hi Lisa, I was placed at HH for a short period in 1978. I knew three siblings...two girls and a boy. I'd love to make contact if you were one of them or could point me to someone who might know them. Best, MariaMalvern.

Hi Lisa, I'm not sure my last post was sent a few moments ago, so just want to reiterate that I was at HH in the late 70s and knew three siblings...a boy and two girls. If you were one of them, I'd love to hear from you. Best, MariaMalvern.

Back