• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childrens Home Identification

Richard D

Brummie babby
My wife's father was born in Birmingham in 1909 and abandoned on the streets of Birmingham at an early age. He was picked up by the Police and put into a childrens home. We have been trying to identify which home without success. However, the attached photo came into our possesion recently which shows the children and staff at the seaside on a day trip. Can anyone identify the home from which they came either from the outfits being worn or by identifying anyone in the photo?

:)View attachment 68477

They really look like they were having a great day. Fabulous photo the more you look at it the more you see. Like the lad in the middle row far left with collar. Bet he got some ribbin' off the other lads:)

Last edited:
what a wonderful photo richard...i do hope you will be able to identify the childrens home.

lyn

Facinating photo - most look happy - lady looks rather serious - 5th boy from right back row has a suit ? My Dad was put in a childrens home Shenley Fields about 1920 because Gran and Grandad couldn't afford to look after all their childen. I suppose I can't answer your question but thanks for the photo.
oldmohawk...:)

Hi Richard

I put together the website SisterSue61 mentions above and I am currently working on a book on Erdington Cottage Homes. I am talking to a lot of peole about their memories of children's homes in Birmingham so I'll pass your photo around if that's ok to see if anyone has any good ideas about which home it might be.

It must have been quite something for children to be taken to the seaside. I was wondering if that suggests they might be from Josiah Mason's Orphanage (Erdington) as it was privately funded - it seems perhaps more likely than one of the Board of Guardians-run homes like the Cottage Homes.

Good luck with your search
Gudrun

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your suggestion SisterSue61. Yes I am happy for you to circulate the photo Gudrun, any help is welcome.

Richard D

Back