• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Children's games - late 19th century

How old are children ? I remember groups of us, girlfriends included, having races down some of the gentler parts of the Malvern Hills on 'hostel tea trays'. The hostel being where us boys lived while at college. Age range, 18 to 19. Wheeeeee ! It feels long enough ago now to count.
Andrew.

How old are children ? I remember groups of us, girlfriends included, having races down some of the gentler parts of the Malvern Hills on 'hostel tea trays'. The hostel being where us boys lived while at college. Age range, 18 to 19. Wheeeeee ! It feels long enough ago now to count.
Andrew.
we will always be someones children and never too old for a laugh i think:grinning:

We played a similar game. One person would run clockwise along Mapledene and into Greenvale and the other person would run in the opposite direction. First one back was the winner. This could be adapted to include bikes, scooters and trolleys etc. View attachment 166909
You know, now that you have said , maybe we did the same. My memory fails me sometimes. It was still great being a kid wasn't it, whatever we did. Thanks for sharing your running route jmadone, wish I could share mine. The Birmingham City University site, Eastside, stands proudly on my running route! Regards, Sue

I didn’t get to play outdoors much. I was a sickly kid with bifocals no one wanted to play with. From my early years, I engaged in card games and table games mostly. My grandfather taught me to play cribbage, and I loved that game. I had a few different boards. My favorite one was on a wooden deck in the form of a ship. Years went by, and now I play cribbage with my grandson. On my PC I like to play card games on online-solitaire.com just before I go to bed.

Last edited:
It's incredible to think about how they interacted and entertained themselves without the presence of TVs and PCs. It must have fostered a different kind of creativity and social interaction.
While I don't have specific knowledge about the games "pitch back" and "bear and tender," I'm sure someone in this forum might have some insights to share. It would be wonderful to uncover the rules and descriptions of these games to gain a better understanding of the way they were played and the enjoyment they brought.
But if you're looking to explore unique gaming experiences in the modern era, I'd suggest checking out games for real money. They provide an interesting blend of entertainment and the potential to earn some extra cash while having fun. I've personally dabbled in a few and found them engaging and rewarding.

Last edited:
Back