• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children of Working Mothers WW2

https://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/45/850/large_000000.jpg A nurse checks on children as they settle down for their afternoon nap on cots in the garden of the Carnegie Institute of Child Welfare in Birmingham. Women war workers leave their children at the day nursery attached to the Institute whilst they go to work in local factories. By kind permission of IWM. No copyright infringement is intended.

smashing photos thanks for sharing them..would you have any idea of the location of the carnegie institute

lyn

Lyn
Near your old hunting ground in hunters road

thanks mike i thought it may have been hunters road but was not sure if there was another one in brum

lyn

I do not think there are any ohers in Brum, but anyway , some years ago I went to a talk Ion childcare in WW2 and they showed some photos of the institute where children were cared for in WW2 and it was Hunters Road

My mother worked in a day nursery for a while during WW2 but unfortunately I can't remember which one, probably not too far from the Perry Barr area.

Back