• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Children of William Foden

Her Father is Plain William Williams born about 1833.At Boar's Head in 1881, Wm Hy Williams is 19 years old.Pl;ease see attached.

Attachments

• STSRG11_2836_2838-0184.jpg
    STSRG11_2836_2838-0184.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 7
Have not looked at the 1881 census, but are you sure he was just the manager. In the 1882 Kellys (which would refer to 1881) William Williamsi is listed in commercial names list together both at the Boars 'Head and at the Old Barley Mow, 26 Northwood St. As he is listed there at both and not on a separate line as another William Williams , it would indicate that both pubs are run by the same man, which I think would mean he was the licensee.

View attachment 146681
So William Williams(Abt 1833)was licencee of Boar's Head in 1881, His son William Henry Williams (Abt 1862)was Manager and also there was Emma Spencer (Born Williams)the Daughter/Sister of them?

Attachments

554.2 KB · Views: 7
In the 1873, 1876, 1878n & 1889 directories William is just listed at the Barley Mow, but the 1880 and 1883 version lists both pubs, whil ein 1884 he has added the Shakespeare Head in Kenyon St to his empire, all of which he retains in the 1888 edition. However by 1890 edition he just has the Boars Head, which he has retained in 1892, but he has left by the 1885 edition

ScreenHunter 1605.jpg

So would you agree with me that his son was manager of Boar's Head in 1881?Wm Hy Williams aged 19?

Attachments

554.2 KB · Views: 4
So given that the licencee of The Boar's Head was William Williams, Born about 1833, (Aged 47 in the 1881), and William Henry Williams was relation to Head:-Son, and Emma Spencer:-Daughter, It's clear that Emma Elizabeth Barnes' nephew in the 1911 at The Parson and Clerk, William Williams(24) is Wm Hy Ws son.I think this is Wm Alfred Williams Born Q2 1887 Aston, MMN Knowles.
On another point, Wm Wms c1833, in 1861 is a Silver Plater, in 1878 an Electro-Plater, in 1881 a Publican.Has he changed Profession or Emma and William's Parents are a different Williams/Morris combination?

It was not uncommon for publicans to have another trade. In fact it was not uncommon for his name to be on the licence, ut his wife to run the pub, while he practised his trade. In fact at times it was difficult for a woman to hold a licence in her name unless it passed from a dead husband.

On the basis of information provided within this thread - which is greatly appreciated and acknowledged - and some other material in my possession, I have pulled together a few words and images on Arthur Edgar Foden of Mill Green Farm, Little Aston and his second cousin, Linnaeus William "Bill" Cutler of Streetly. Between 1940 and 1944 they were both invaluable supporters of the local Home Guard effort in Streetly and Little Aston which is the reason for my particular interest; and I wanted to commemorate their lives and service. It can be seen here: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/D20ReminiscencesFodenCutler.htm

I THINK I have all the genealogy right but hope I shall be corrected if not!

Chris

I have been contacted by a Mr Hank Sheriton on Ancestry.com regarding John E W Foden who becomes John E W Foden-Barnes.(First mention #189).On departure From London onboard Ovieto (23 Jun 1923) he and wife Marjorie's abode is Leighty Water, St Giles in the Wood, Torrington, Devon.Anybody have info as to why they turn up there following their marriage in 1920, Shropshire?

I'd like to return to the thread theme Children of William Foden.
Isaac (1860-1923) married my 2xgreat Aunt Ellen Middleton at Perry Common Farm (1911) and Thornhill Farm (1891)
Ellen's sister Harriot (1861-1926) married Walter Smart Savage (1860-1909) at Little Hardwick Farm?

I'd like to return to the thread theme Children of William Foden.
Isaac (1860-1923) married my 2xgreat Aunt Ellen Middleton and they were at Perry Common Farm (1911) and Thornhill Farm (1891)
Ellen's sister Harriot (1861-1926) married Walter Smart Savage (1860-1909) and they were at Little Hardwick Farm? (1891) Rock Farm Hamstead? (1901) .Walter's father Elias Savage was at Moor Hall Farm Sutton Coldfield (1871) Manorial Farm Great Barr (1891)
Ellen's brother Linnaeus Middleton (1867-1918) married Clara Wheeler (1860-1942) and they were at Manorial Farm (1911) - Clara carried on into the 1930's although she had been widowed.
And so it goes on. Foden, Cutler, Savage, Middleton. Farmers, licensed victuallers, market gardeners. Perry Barr, Great Barr, Witton,Streetly and Little Aston. No wonder this thread is so long - there must be dozens of us distant cousins knocking about.
The challenge is to bring it all together and establish relationships. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can press the computer keys and do searches although I am always amazed at the kindness of members in sharing photos and memories. All of us who share the dna should try to get a family interest group going. What do you think? Ancestry etc are brilliant but not everyone can afford it.

Ancestry can so easily lead one astray.Turn hints off I say.Our extended family brought us the fabulous name Linnaeus to the region.Was this in honour of the Swedish botantist Carl Linnaeus?

It could certainly have been adopted from Carl Linnaeus 1707-1778, as his work was well known in Europe;
Have you made any research into when it was introduced into the Birmingham region, and found perhaps the earliest mention of it in the Erdington area? May have been thru the Cutlers - who knows?

Last edited:
Not researched except for members of my own tree.Certainly was adopted by the Cutlers tho.
Firstly came Linnaeus Cutler Bapt 22 Jul 1810 Halesowen
Then his son Linnaeus Cutler Born 19 Jul 1841 Witton
Then Linnaeus Charles Cutler " 8 Jan 1875 Witton
Then Linnaeus William Cutler " 8 Jul 1897 Regd West Bromwich
The name was adopted by cousins also:-
Linnaeus James Webster 1902
Linnaeus Middleton 1867
Linnaeus James Middleton 1907
Anybody know any more?

What about these:
Linnaeus James Middleton 1882 son of Mary & William Middleton1856 Aston
Linnaeus Middleton 1867 son of Emma Cutler & William Middleton 1831 aston
Linnaeus Middleton 1893-1916 son of Linnaeus 1867
Linnaeus William Cutler1897 son of Linnaeus Charles 1875

Coming from the Cutler line I had pondered the name Linnaeus. Did it come from the great Swede, and if so, from where did he get it...from his old man of course...

"Carolus Linnaeus is the latinized form of his name that he used in academic publications. He was also known as Carl Linnaeus, as Carl von Linnè (adopted after 1762, the year he was granted nobility in recognition of his scientific work), and as Carl Linné (the way he often signed his name late in life). If his father had not attended college (at the University of Lund), his name would have been Carl Nilsson (Carl, son of Nils) because his father's name was originally Nils Ingemarsson (Nils, son of Ingemar). At the time, this was the accepted naming convention among Swedes. However, when Nils registered at the University of Lund he had to register under a family name. So he coined the name Linnaeus, which was later used also by his son Carl. Nils took the name Linnaeus from the Smålandish dialect word linn, meaning linden tree. In Sweden an ancient tree on the family property would be singled out as the "warden tree," which in Norse tradition was a tree that exerted a protective power over the family home. In the case of their family, the warden tree was a linden. The family farm was known as Linnagård."

Sorry for the delay.here's Harriet Foden 1844 who Married Linn Cutler.

Hello there,
I joined the forum to reply to your post! Thanks for sharing this drawing of Harriet Foden Cutler, I love it! Can you tell us more about it? I've seen photos of Linnaeus Cutler, but never Harriet. She is my great-great-great-grandmother and I have her eyebrows–they were my nana Irene Foden Ferneyhough's as well. ^__^
Cheers,
Liza.

So your Grandfather was Thomas Frederick Ferneyhough?
Hi Jonathan,
Yes! Tom was my granddad. My dad is his son David. He grew up on Chester Road with a bunch of Fodens and Ferneyhoughs around. Dad has a book about Little Aston area history called Gone Are the Days and there's a photo of your grandfather Jack's christening party in it! I've attached it to this post. (I'm not sure what the rules are about posting images from books. If it's a problem, I can remove it).
Ohh, so it's a photo of Harriet and not a drawing? It's hard to tell, it has a soft pencil quality to it. Anyway, it's lovely.
--Liza.

Attachments

• irene foden thomas ferneyhough wedding st peter's.jpeg
    irene foden thomas ferneyhough wedding st peter's.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • brown_cutler.jpg
    brown_cutler.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 8
Back