• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children of William Foden

Alice's daughter Dorothy is with her in 1939. It is listed as Grainslno Farm but doesn't seem quite right.

There is mention of the accident in the Lichfield Mercury 13 Oct 1944 and Walsall Observer 14 Oct 1944. Possibly the same story but I don't have a subscripton so can only see the search results. I can see the inquest was held at Walsall General Hospital.

There is mention of the accident in the Lichfield Mercury 13 Oct 1944 and Walsall Observer 14 Oct 1944. Possibly the same story but I don't have a subscripton so can only see the search results. I can see the inquest was held at Walsall General Hospital.
Perhaps Mikejee could help out!

I think the farm where Alice lived was probably Gainsborough Hall Farm, lower middle of this map...

And this is the map sheet below, it lists Mill Green (upper middle) but can't actually see Mill Green Farm listed...

I think the farm where Alice lived was probably Gainsborough Hall Farm, lower middle of this map...

And this is the map sheet below, it lists Mill Green (upper middle) but can't actually see Mill Green Farm listed...

Thank you very much for these maps, they have helped me to understand the whereabouts of the farms.

I found a different map (1914) showing Mill Green Farm. A much later map (1964) marks buildings on both sides of the road as Mill Green Farm.
The buildings are marked on the second map MWS posted but not named. Holly Lane is marked on both maps.
1592601339013.png

Last edited:
Although having looked at the map where that house is for sale it seems a bit south of where the farm is marked on the map. However, there can't be two farm houses both called Mill Green that close together and may be the house was a bit away from some of the farm buildings.
MWS I think you got closer to the asking price than I did. :D

Great information emerging - family information, maps, current house images and details of the circumstances of the tragedy.

We now know that it happened on Saturday, 7th October 1944. One doesn't want to try and visualise the dreadful circumstances but some of us can remember the farm equipment of that time and also the typical farmer with his old, gaberdine raincoat and perhaps an ancient trilby jammed on his head to protect him from the elements. Feeding the nation was always a hard and dangerous life, especially in those days.

Thanks for the newspaper cutting, Pedrocut. Without wishing to be greedy, do any of the other reports throw any further light on the accident? And especially useful would be any funeral report which might detail principal mourners (i.e. family and perhaps prominent others).

(I never realised that Mill Green Farm straddled the Chester Road/A452. Must have passed it regularly a long time ago!)

Chris

All of the above is particularly interesting, thanks to you all.
Would anyone know any more about the house built 1740, it seems to belong to Birmingham heritage ?

Victoria County History of Staffordshire might just be a possibility, if anyone has access to a copy.

Chris

There are quite a few other newspaper articles about Mill Green Farm - labourers wanted, sale of, change of use, death notices (including Nellie 1967) and court cases (one involving Arthur Foden 1940).

Wow, MWS, what can you tell us about the SALE of, Change of use, any death notices, plus the court case of Arthur ? All that is the type of info I would love to have and to see added to the history of the house. Bring it all on please.

just a note to members who may not know ...the british newspaper archives can be a wonderful source of gaining information about our past..cheap enough at only £12.95 for a months subscriptions..you can of course have a 12 months subscription which not only gives us a saving but brings the monthly payments down to just £6.67 a month..for any members wanting to have a bash themselves click on the link below..to be honest i have not subscribed for a while but must do so as they are adding more and more all the time and bringing the the years up to more recent times

lyn

Back