• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children of William Foden

I have just looked at the tree and am confused. The information for John's birth seem to come from other trees or calculated from his death. I am not sure why they have attached the Cheshire Transcript other than a name. It is interesting to see the marriage of John to Sarah Bennett is at St Edburgha's.
Does the tree owner have a John Foden living out all his life in Cheshire?Does it look like he/she knows what they talking about?

Just had a response to my enquiry with Birmingham Archives about the Baptism of Mary Foden and her Brother on 17 Aug 1768.I think you all will be interested in the name obscured by the discolouration in the Parish records, posted on Ancestry.I've attached both for comparison.I await your comments.

Attachments

• Bapt Foden Joseph and Mary 1768.jpg
    Bapt Foden Joseph and Mary 1768.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Bapt Foden Mary and Brother 17 Aug 1768 Yardley.jpg
    Bapt Foden Mary and Brother 17 Aug 1768 Yardley.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 9
That's a little disappointing. Though I wouldn't rule out John & Sarah as the parents of a John Foden baptised somewhere else local.

It would be a coincidence for a family of Fodens living in Yardley and another none related Foden to marry in the same place.

Last edited:
Right - that might mean that an earlier baptism that I came across from one of the trees on Ancestry is correct. The comment with it said "2 baptism's"??
It was actually a tree showing Mary Foden not John.
Also at St Edburgha's

1616002871176.png

I think there are 2 branches of Fodens here.Yardley records are more digitised maybe than elsewhere.Also, there are plenty of John Fodens who marry Sarahs it seems.I'm thinking that William's Grandfather John Foden is Buried at Aston on 31 May 1829, aged 63, from National Burial Index.The Baptism of a John Foden at Walsall on 21 Jun 1766 is possibly him.
His Children, Hannah(29 Mar 1901), Joshua(7 Aug 1803), Caleb(6 Oct 1805), Eliza(14 Sep 1807), Sarah(28 Apr 1810)are all Baptised at Aston, and quote their Place of Births as Erdington.There is no proven connection to Yardley for me.

Hi, this is sort of addressed to any of the great Williams/Spencer/Foden/Barnes of Perry Barr, Streetley,Lichfield and Shenstone re: my Great Grandmother Emma Elizabeth Williams (etc. after 4 marriages) just to say that it is great to see all the activity and that I have, after spending years on my Great Grandfather's Spencer's side of the family, recently been in touch with all the Williams's and just wanted to set the record straight about Emma's Will. The Charles Lawrence she left the equivalent of half or more a million pounds to is nothing to do with her own family. He was the Head Master of Shenstone School and seems to have been a benefit to allow the school to continue and thrive. Unfortuntely they have no archivesand it is now part of a network of schools for children with special needs (I hope that is the correct title). I have to suppose you don't leave that sort of money to a school unless you have a fairly close interest in it, so also have to suppose that John Foden and Emma's Son John went there. Emma was over 40 when he was born and still apparently hands-on with The Parson and Clerk, even though I think I remember rightly that Hy Williams was managing it. It would make sense that after John Foden died so young, and Emma married George Barnes and moved to The Hollies, that her son would go to the local school,
Anyway, hope that helps to clear that up, and as to her re-marrying Harry Spencer only months after his South African 'wife' died (does anyone have a second legal marriage certificate dated after Emma's divorce petition went through?) I am as totally agog as to her thinking as anyone else. Harry deserted her leaving two legitimate children, my Gran Dolly (Polly) and Great Aunt Gertrude, took himself off to South Africa (obviously with his parents blessing and/or money, as he does not appear to have done anything too strenuous beforehand) and then re-appears and they marry in 1917. The most surprising is that he 1) travelled whilst there was a War raging, and 2) having married went back to South Africa and lived there until he died! NO idea what that was all about.
I have a copy of Shenstone's history which shows John Barnes as being the licencee of The Bull's Head, Shenstone, and was a farmer from East Anglia (?) which says he distributed for sale a new fangled type of plough, saving farmers hours and back breaking work, and made a considerable sum. He was still at The Bull's Head apparently when his son George was at The Hollies with his first wife. She died after a long illness and he married Emma withing I believe a month and she moved into TeHollies with jon Fodens son John.
Anyway thanks for your time. Carol.
P.S. Thank you so much to both Jon S and Bob H for all your help and the information you throw at me and which is helping so much to travel my the Williams line.

To recap Emma Elizabeth Williams.

Birth was registered Mar 1859, Aston, the daughter of Wlliam Williams & Sarah Morris.

She marries Harry Spencer 31 Oct 1878.

Has 2 daughters - Pollie & Gertrude - before Harry abandons her.

Divorces Harry Spencer

She marries John Foden 1889.

Has a son - John Edward William in 1901.

John Foden dies in 1904.

She marries George Barnes 1905.

George dies in 1916.

She the re-marries Harry Spencer in 1917 - not sure how long he stays around for this time.

And finally Emma dies 13 Mar 1922.
Me again, please can you tell me where William William's first wife Sarah comes to be Sarah Morris, only I can not find a marriage date for William with anyone other than a Sarah Dipple and she lived in Herefordshire all her life. Subsequent records seem to only put Sarah / Williams? Please can you give me the dates/place for it being Sarah Morris so I can add it to the tree. Thanks so much again.

William Williams marriage to Sarah Morris was registered June quarter 1854 in West Bromwich district.

It took place on 21 May 1854, St Mary's Handsworth.

William Williams marriage to Sarah Morris was registered June quarter 1854 in West Bromwich district.

It took place on 21 May 1854, St Mary's Handsworth.
Thank you, could not find it and am awaiting Emma's Birth Cert. so can add this to the tree. Greatly appreciated.

• Appreciate
Reactions: R3H
No scan is available. Here is a link to it on FreeReg...

Just received from Stafford Archives this the Baptismal record of John Foden 21 Jun 1766, Parents John and Elizabeth, at Walsall for info.

Attachments

• Bapt Foden John 21 Jun 1766.jpg
    Bapt Foden John 21 Jun 1766.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
No scan is available. Here is a link to it on FreeReg...

I have since obtained the GRO certificate for the marriage of William Williams and Sarah Morris. The details correspond with the transcript on FreeReg. I am not sure of the copyright position so not posting a scan here.

Back