• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

My dad used to come home from work and take his Hungarian Goulashes off, as he called them....

I remember the smiley rosy faced coleman who called Nan missus, carrying a sack of coal up the long jitty then up the garden on his shoulder to the back door almost, at my grandparents. Dump it on a piece of corrugated iron to stop it getting wet. I think they covered it up a bit. Nan had a special coal shovel which she shovelled it in to the tall scuttle, I used to 'help' with my little spade and take the slack to fill in the gaps. Nan would moan and say he had given her a load of nutty slack? I liked it when it was wet and it spat when lighting it. Nan used tongues on the big pieces. I struggled to balance it, it was heavy and she said I was cock 'onded or boss 'onded. I can smell it now.
And the bin man hoisted the heavy bin up on his back. Nan couldn't lift it even when it was empty she sort of rolled it. Bins always at the bottom of the garden, not like now, under the windows. Ours are still kept at the bottom.
We had an egg man, a Betterwear man, bread man, milk man, laundry man. Chimney sweep. A lamp lighter till I was about 5. No mod cons! Insurance man. All stayed on the doorstep.

the overcoat on the bed. i could do with that coat now
I do sometimes, put one on. Well a toweling robe!.

It was Gran's birthday last week so I took some flowers to the crem. Her favourtie. Gyp. Then I got my guitar out and sang some of her songs, Joshua, Joshua oh what a silly sos you are, (can't remember the next few lines) then Joshu osh you are!
Monkey Cock yer Tail Up, Jesus Loves me Yes I know, The Crossway Sweeper, which used to make me want to cry. Come Little Girl for A Sail With Me up In My Bonny Ball ooo oooon! She didn't have much of a voice but she could deliver a song.
Blame the storm on me!

It was Gran's birthday last week so I took some flowers to the crem. Her favourtie. Gyp. Then I got my guitar out and sang some of her songs, Joshua, Joshua oh what a silly sos you are, (can't remember the next few lines) then Joshu osh you are!
Monkey Cock yer Tail Up, Jesus Loves me Yes I know, The Crossway Sweeper, which used to make me want to cry. Come Little Girl for A Sail With Me up In My Bonny Ball ooo oooon! She didn't have much of a voice but she could deliver a song.
Blame the storm on me!
Wonderful posts thanks Nico bought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye

Last edited:
Gran also said if she was giving you something, " do you want it in your hand Mrs Murphy, or do you want it lying down?" Can anyone shed any light on this please? Dad said it too but only with Gran.(his mam).
She would la la la to The Irish Washerwoman melody, "With egg an' tomatas all over me garters" which I found a tongue twister.

My dad used to come home from work and take his Hungarian Goulashes off, as he called them....

I remember the smiley rosy faced coleman who called Nan missus, carrying a sack of coal up the long jitty then up the garden on his shoulder to the back door almost, at my grandparents. Dump it on a piece of corrugated iron to stop it getting wet. I think they covered it up a bit. Nan had a special coal shovel which she shovelled it in to the tall scuttle, I used to 'help' with my little spade and take the slack to fill in the gaps. Nan would moan and say he had given her a load of nutty slack? I liked it when it was wet and it spat when lighting it. Nan used tongues on the big pieces. I struggled to balance it, it was heavy and she said I was cock 'onded or boss 'onded. I can smell it now.
And the bin man hoisted the heavy bin up on his back. Nan couldn't lift it even when it was empty she sort of rolled it. Bins always at the bottom of the garden, not like now, under the windows. Ours are still kept at the bottom.
We had an egg man, a Betterwear man, bread man, milk man, laundry man. Chimney sweep. A lamp lighter till I was about 5. No mod cons! Insurance man. All stayed on the doorstep.
I can remember the same such things Nico, lovely memories of family and having grannie around as ours lived with us... it was our childhood, hasn't life changed? I can remember all those house callers except the egg man!
Wendy

Blame the storm on me!
loverly
:sob::sob:

Nico has got it off to a tee. And what so endears me to rural Greek life here is very much that - family. The old folks aren't put in a home, it's part of the family tasks to look after them. Perhaps this is why crime levels are so low and people respect each other. I would never want that to change.

Maurice :cool:

Nico has got it off to a tee. And what so endears me to rural Greek life here is very much that - family. The old folks aren't put in a home, it's part of the family tasks to look after them. Perhaps this is why crime levels are so low and people respect each other. I would never want that to change.

If you did anything wrong Maurice your Gran would batter you!

If you did anything wrong Maurice your Gran would batter you!
French family life is the same but they still have crime. Maybe rural is better? I find they have great respect for anybody especially older people. It's always Monsieur. et Madame, everywhere you come in to contact, unless you say otherwise. Tradesmen and gardeners say bonjour and shakehands always, road workers say bonjour. I am told it is starting to die out with younger people they say they are becoming Americanised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember the same such things Nico, lovely memories of family and having grannie around as ours lived with us... it was our childhood, hasn't life changed? I can remember all those house callers except the egg man!
Wendy
Nan always got a kiss off the egg man. Then I saw a TV series come up A Kiss off The Egg Man.
I forgot the road sweeper with his little cart. Mum and dad had a fish man too. The Rag and bone man's son was in my class

Wendy
Nan lived with us too.

Nick,

Rural and an island - the police only have to watch the airports and a two ferry terminals - if the criminals aren't there then thet are somewhere on the island. Youngsters are kept busy with school and more school (frontiserio) in the evening, If they've got any spare time after that, many of them are helping the family on their land. Cities are more of a problem, of course, but we only have a few of those. I don't need guard dogs as my neighbours will quickly spot a stranger and watch him like a hawk until he leaves or settles.

just put a copy of your profile in the window. that will keep intruders away:).... beware of the Maurice.... we had a burglar look through the window when i was watching the tv, back in the 50s.my dad ran out but he had legged it.

Last edited:
In my dealings with nursing/care homes and hospitals over the last 25 years it is apparent that the larger percentage of residents are people who have retired to this area or moved here for business purposes. Few are native born. The problem for many is that their families are miles away often in another country. But that is how the world has changed since the widespread movements of people in the last hundred years.

In my dealings with nursing/care homes and hospitals over the last 25 years it is apparent that the larger percentage of residents are people who have retired to this area or moved here for business purposes. Few are native born. The problem for many is that their families are miles away often in another country. But that is how the world has changed since the widespread movements of people in the last hundred years.

Attachments

• Duggie's Wagon Collins Avenue.jpg
    Duggie's Wagon Collins Avenue.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
As well as the rag and bone man's horse drawn cart, there was a flower seller and the milkman till I was 5 because we moved house = different milk round. The Midland Counties I think it was after had the battery powered open little van, with the laboured whine of the engine and the rattle of the milk crates. The vegetable man had a horse drawn cart too but he tethered it around the corner and the wares were displayed like a market stall. The one in the picture is when I used to stay with my mate's relations in Ireland.
We can't even get a window cleaner now they say the house is too high? The ice cream man is not allowed to stop where we live yet cars park on the pavement and double yellers and lorries block drives.

I sent the photo to my old friend over the water she said the wagon was an old milk float converted. She was very high in animal welfare assuring me the horse was well cared for. He had a waterproof blanket on sometimes. Duggie didn't have to tell him he just clicked and the horse would move to the next house whilst he was delivering his produce.
My mate's gran used to buy 2 stone of potatoes. Great big round round ones. She said they came from Belfast? They were the best? They did hold up in a lovely potato cake made in the frying pan.

I just remembered a type of sweet. My partner had them in France too. They were white small oblong wrapped, hard but then chewy, not a boiled sweet, I struggled with the wrap I often ended up eating paper. They tasted of mint.

Hercules, the Steptoe horse:

Even Hercules, the Steptoe’s horse, achieved stardom. A genuine rag and bone man’s horse – he belonged to Shepherd’s Bush brothers Arthur and Chris Arnold – he was often recognised by children on his rounds and offered carrots and sweets.

Back