• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

Wendy,

I could provide you with a job for life! :) I'm not really a chores person, they get in the way of other things I'd far sooner do at this time in my life!

Maurice :cool:

I remember the water in the outside loo freezing over in the pan. Nan wore wooly socks over her stockings. I can see her cooking with her old coat on with her apron on in the kitchen with a small woolly hat too. Fetching in the frozen rigid sheets and the steam coming off the small mangle in the yard, she had to put her foot on it or it slipped. I liked to play with the roller adjusters they reminded me of aeroplanes no idea why, they were grooved and cream and blue. She had a big mangle in the kitchen for sheets. It had an aluminium cover which served as a worktop.Nan called alloominum!

Pete,

I didn't say I was watching BHF - and I wasn't! :)

But to get this back on thread, I used to love watching my dad repairing shoes with the three-legged iron last, a hammer, and some "rivets", as he used to call them, but were actually tacks. But shoes were always repaired in those days, not intoday's throw away age. One thing that he planted just after the war was a Cox's Orange Pippin apple tree, which I think he ordered from some advertiser in "The Smallholder". When we left the house in 1950s and it was then in it's second year of fruiting. It was still there last year on Google Street View and it must now be over 75 years old.

I think that's the idea, Alan. Put on a boring programme and at the end of it is a good time to put out bad news as most of the public will either be asleep or watching some "enthralling" reality show on the other channel! :)

As a nipper, me & some mates would ride our bikes to Walmley, sometimes scrumping, sometimes knocking the conkers off a massive tree, & sometimes creeping round to the lake at the back of Penns Hall Hotel for some fishing. I always fancied buying a house in Walmley but never did. Se la vie.

True love never dies, but sometimes wobbles.

I used to work with a guy who, because he had holes in the soles of his shoes, used to take four or five punched cards and cut them to shape as insoles!

Pete,

But to get this back on thread, I used to love watching my dad repairing shoes with the three-legged iron last, a hammer, and some "rivets", as he used to call them, but were actually tacks. But shoes were always repaired in those days, not intoday's throw away age. One thing that he planted just after the war was a Cox's Orange Pippin apple tree, which I think he ordered from some advertiser in "The Smallholder". When we left the house in 1950s and it was then in it's second year of fruiting. It was still there last year on Google Street View and it must now be over 75 years old.

Pete,

Grandad repaired nan's best court shoes with a last. They lasted for years. Hr repaired all our shoes till the modern shoes came in. And He would re tack the carpet up the stairs.
I still have Nan's cast iron mint chopper, I refuse to throw it out, it comes in handy, as a tool and grandad's stool he made at school. I either have to kneel these days or sit on it to paint and things or just lie on the floor.

Does any one now why shoe repairers are called snobs ? We have one in Chelmsley Wood shopping Centre, he also cuts keys. Eric

Wendy,

I could provide you with a job for life! :) I'm not really a chores person, they get in the way of other things I'd far sooner do at this time in my life!

Hi Maurice , I still enjoy getting stuck into jobs I need to do.. but not so energetically as when I was a kid haha I have trouble sitting and looking at a job that needs doing, maybe I need to chill out haha The one chore I still really enjoy is the gardening , I love my garden :)

Wendy

Bob,

I can't beat that rich man's price that you offered to Wendy - does that include First Class air fare?

Wendy,

No one wants to work on our patch of land. I won't call it a garden because it consists of around two inches of poor topsoil on top of solid limestome for the most part. Even the guy round the corner is reluctant to put the plough over it unless we've had lots of rain. Pomegranates and almonds seem to grow OK, and the Greek white onions, because they need very little water, but it's extremely hard work trying to cultivate it. But like most plots of land, weeds grow well! :)

Back