• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

Lyn, Your post #249)

Yes, I think I did, but none of them looking into Barton Place if I remember.

Maurice :cool:

Edifi,

I'm not even sure where Happy Valley is or was. We just went south along Alcester Road South until we came to the canal and went down onto the north side of the canal. On the opposite side was a pub, and I can't even remember it's name Not much further on was the Kings Heath Greyhound Track - now a housing estate I believe - and the Alcester Lanes End terminus for the 49 route. Fish were sticklebacks, minnows and roach, none of them big enough to eat. But it was peaceful and a chance to spend a bit of time with Dad - he died little more than a year later. I'm talking ot the period 1950 ro early 1952.

Happy Valley Pleasure Grounds

Last edited:
We grew mustard and cress on the nature table at school when I was 7. And told to bring in bread and butter in. Our teacher Mrs Davies brought a big sliced loaf and butter as some children couldn't afford it. Nan told me that and not to ask them why.

My uncle was given bread and butter by his gran and told to find something in the garden to put in it He says they had wild garlic dandelions and clover.

Vinegar and cucumber salad my pop calls it a " wet " salad one of his favorite things

The river Rea ran at the back of our house and yes just like every kid we would build a dam.

The allotments were at the top of our cul de sac but we could get to them from the field at the rear of the house, we would pick and eat the goosegogs and blackberries through the fence.
When mum was courting dad she and nan and grandad got invited to his mum's house for tea. Nan's story was, "she (gran) come out with this tin a salmon open, and slopped it on our plates. Oooh she was common! shuddering as she spoke.

We grew mustard and cress on the nature table at school when I was 7. And told to bring in bread and butter in. Our teacher Mrs Davies brought a big sliced loaf and butter as some children couldn't afford it. Nan told me that and not to ask them why.

My uncle was given bread and butter by his gran and told to find something in the garden to put in it He says they had wild garlic dandelions and clover.
mustard cress on a cheese sarnie yum. There is a lot of wild garlic (Stinking lilies) in my garden, some times the dogs stink when they have been mooching amongst it

I take mine to France, my hovis and my Irish soda bread. I have a white flour allergy I must have always had it. Explains a lot now!

Nico. Didn't know there were Vegans around in those days :laughing: :laughing:
My dad never ate meat till he met mum. His mum told him he didn't like it. They were very poor. He never ate a sausage till he came to us for a barbecue. He never ate eggs or bacon. Or fresh fruit. Lived till he was 83.

I try to avoid white bread too, and generally have Ryvita in its place. I'm intolerant of cow's milk and haven't had that for over 30 years. I can tolerate small amounts of cheese made from cow's milk, but much prefer feta made from pure sheep's milk. Most of the commercial stuff available pre-packaged is 50/50 sheep and goats. However, my son-in-law's father is a sheep farmer living a few miles away, so a lot of feta comes my way for free! :) As far as meat goes, I only eat chicken - not for any dietary or philosophical reason, but just because I don't like the other stuff.

Wholemeal bread is what we usually have, however, white 'Tiger' bread makes excellent toast. ;) We have quite a lot of cows milk, what a bargain four pints for just over £1 most places, compared with beer which seems to be four times as much for the equivalent quantity.

Irish soda bread,not had that since i left Ireland. cant get it here. i am a celiac
I get it in Sainsburys. Rankin Soda bread. They sell soda farls too but they are white and dry. I am not a celiac. But I can't eat white flour rice or pasta, chocolate, cheese which is the only thing I miss, saccharine and crackers of any sort.
I love cheese, goats' sheeps' and cows' milk cheese. Dad called me the mouse. The Free from stuff doesn't suit me ether it's like chaff or rubber. Strangley, and luckily I can eat brown soda, and Hovis, brown rice and brown pasta.

I try to avoid white bread too, and generally have Ryvita in its place. I'm intolerant of cow's milk and haven't had that for over 30 years. I can tolerate small amounts of cheese made from cow's milk, but much prefer feta made from pure sheep's milk. Most of the commercial stuff available pre-packaged is 50/50 sheep and goats. However, my son-in-law's father is a sheep farmer living a few miles away, so a lot of feta comes my way for free! :) As far as meat goes, I only eat chicken - not for any dietary or philosophical reason, but just because I don't like the other stuff.

I might try feta. Or Mozzarella! Thank you Maurice.

Has I've probably said before I grew up loving Pigs tail stew.Ive got them for my tea tonight.YUM
What does that taste like? Coddle? I like that. Had it in Dublin and corned beef, the tail end whatever that means, gigot chops, colcannon and potato cakes. Takes me back. I heard of pigs legs, as well as trotters, being very cheap. And ray in batter.

Edifi,

I don't like goats cheese - it is far too sweet. Feta made from sheeps milk only has a nice bite to it

Back